• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaCAMM SP-300i Banding / Print Issues w/Photos

nsidler

Hello - brand new member here. I did a quick search and saw some similar posts, but not quite the same. I've had my SP-300i for a couple years, but feel like I don't know much about it. I've tried a regular and manual cleaning. The first pic is from the VersaWorks color chart. The upper half of the chart looks great. The black text and boxes around the entire chart have black streaks on them and the colors on the bottom half of the chart have banding. Is this an issue with the black? I don't think any black ink is used to print the colors on the top half. The third pic is the calibration and I don't remember ever printing one until recently, but I don't think it's supposed to look like this.

Thank you!

-Nathaniel

fr_368_size640.jpg
fr_369_size640.jpg
fr_370_size640.jpg

player

Try printing some large stripes the width of the printer x 4-6". Make each stripe 100% the colour of each head in cmyk.
I had trouble where it would print a perfect test, but was banding. It was a clogged damper.

nsidler

Hi there,

We printed some large stripes and here's what we got. The second image shows some droplets we got on the black stripe. I don't think we've actually had this problem before, but you can also see banding in the black print. The yellow and magenta look good, except that we used 100% yellow and the print didn't come out 100% yellow. It looks like there are cyan and magenta specks throughout the yellow stripe. The third image shows banding in the cyan stripe. Since we hadn't seen droplets in the black before, we printed the stripes again, and the fourth image shows banding and droplets in the black, and some black smudges next to the stripe.

fr_449_size640.jpg

fr_448_size640.jpg

fr_451_size640.jpg

fr_450_size640.jpg

player

I would look at changing your dampers. The blue is printing a perfect test pattern, but is banding, like it is not getting enough ink. That is what I was getting and it was the dampers.

What calibrations have you done? Did you recently do the calibration that you line up 2 halves of a series of coloured squares? Print calibration maybe...

The black dripping could be a bad damper seal, or the caps are clogged, or you are not cleaning it properly.

When you manually clean the heads, never touch the bottom, only the sides. Look for a hair or something that might cause the ink to collect and drip. I put a small mirror under the heads on the far left cleaning position, as well as a small LED light.

When cleaning the caps, fill them with cleaner, let it drain, then wipe around them and the top, but never touch the sponges.

When cleaning the wipers, clean all the ink off the front, and the top leading edge. If they are all curly or bent over they need replacing. If the felt is peeling off, replace them. There shouldn't be dried up caked ink ever.

There is a scraper inside behind the wipers that needs replacing and cleaning periodically. Note which way it it should be installed.

The white sponge in front of the wipers needs to be replaced when too dirty. Try flipping it over.

You should do a manual clean every week to be sure not to have problems.

*** Are you using genuine Roland parts? I would suggest doing so. Especially the dampers, caps and wipers. Caps need replacing every 6 months or if the sponges are damaged or swollen.

What inks are you using? Roland?

Do you have a Roland tech close by? It may be worth it to have a service call as they will have all the parts, install them, do some calibrations, tighten the cable (make sure he has a tension gauge and uses it). For the few hundred $ he will charge you in labour it might be worth it.

Last edited:

splizaat

That's definitely good to know about the dampers. My blue also has a perfect test print but tends to band (no one but me notices) and it drives me nuts. Maybe I'll swap dampers on my machine and see if that fixes it. Any other ideas?

player

That was what fixed mine. Careful you don't crack or break the carburetor (the stem the damper fits onto on top of the head). Pull straight up and don't twist.

Use Roland dampers. The cheap knock-offs don't have the same quality fine screen and crap can get past the damper and into the head.

Check your machine for level?

Have someone check the head transistors on the mainboard.