Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help versacamm vs 540i print head leak and capping station not springing back

Discussion in 'Roland' started by chriswinks, Oct 26, 2017.

1. chriswinks

chriswinks New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    leicester
    Hello

New to the forum and currently have a 3 year old versacamm VS540i
    Recently the print head has been bubbling / leaking cyan and messing up print quality.
    We have noticed the capping station used to move to the right before a spring pulled it back to the left. This no longer is happening and it just sits where we move it too . (used to have resistance and spring back) Could this be the problem as the capping station is not sitting correctly over night / during clean?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. VanderJ

VanderJ Take two Dampers and Call me in the Morning

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    When ink falls out of the head it is usually a bad damper and/or there is an air leak somewhere in the system. Start with the damper and see if that fixes the issue. Also, check the bottom of the head to make sure there isn't an inkcicle hanging down which could cause ink to drip as well. If there is just clean it off with a swab and cleaning solution.

The capping station should spring back and you do want to fix it if it isn't. Get a bright flashlight and take a look below the station to see if there is a spring laying around. If you find it, put it back on. If you can't I am not sure if they sell that spring separately or if you have to buy the whole station.

3. Papajo

Papajo Member

Apr 4, 2013
    France
    To put the spring back into place you have to remove the two horizontal metal rods holding the upper part of the capping station (the black plastic part) to the rest. These are held into place by black plastic rings on the front and the back. If you remove the back plastic rings you can then pull the two rods from the front and access the inside of the capping station. Here you should find the spring laying down somewhere and should be able to hook it up again.

4. chriswinks

chriswinks New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    leicester
    Hi All
    Thanks to Papajo and VanderJ for your advice. We ordered a new cap top and this has seemed to help with a recurring semi missing magenta issue we have had for a while.

However back to the sticking capping unit / station.
    After shining a torch in to the station, it appears the spring is still attached!
    However today the capping station has randomly began springing back and ink is back on. I'll keep an eye on this and report back if it sticks again.
    Is the capping station a part that we are able to purchase and fit ourselves?

Thanks
    Chris

5. chriswinks

chriswinks New Member

Oct 26, 2017
    leicester
    Hi Again
    It seems that were not fully fixed yet!
    Capping station seems good and the issue we seem to still have is blue ink leaking from the print head.
    I've googled for solutions and it seems that some machines have white dampers in that can be replaced and that these might need replacing.
    However our versacamm 540i doesn't appear to have dampers. Some print jobs after a normal / medium clean seem to start ok before becoming lined with dark ink as the job proceeds.

Can anyone offer any advice.
    Thanks

6. Nismoasfuh

Nismoasfuh New Member

Mar 11, 2016
    South Florida
    Interesting about the inkcicle you mentioned, I saw that the last time I was cleaning my sp540v after half a year of no cleaning. I just cleaned around the head, but I was very tempted to touch the inkcicle because it was directly on the head and I knew it would take some brute force to get it out, Im too scared to do it and mess up the head. They say to never touch the actual head while cleaning.