• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

versacamm vs soljet

Schultz Designs

does anyone out there have any real world experience that would help judge how a versacamm 54" printer would hold up colour wise to the 54" soljet? The reason I'm leaving out model numbers is that I'm not close enough to buy one to care about specifics yet, I just want to know if the soljet's 6 colour printing really blows away the versacamm's 4 colour. Can you print decent photographs in large format (resolution acceptable of course) on the vcamm or is the soljet way better suited for that kind of thing.

Thanks so much.

design unfolds

I heard that white ink causes clogged head unless you have a certain amount of white ink job everyday. Also my supplier said about the XC-540, once you have upgraded to white ink option. It is very hard to reverse.

jasonx

I heard that white ink causes clogged head unless you have a certain amount of white ink job everyday. Also my supplier said about the XC-540, once you have upgraded to white ink option. It is very hard to reverse.

It's not hard it just costs money.

mark in tx

A six color vs. a four color machine can make a difference , better speed, and a better color gamut, to name 2 reasons, but the absolute key is getting the machine properly profiled.

Unless you have an existing need, or have a solid plan and ability to sell the output, you probably don't want to bother with the white ink.

I do know a few people that bought a separate machine just to run white ink.

mac_man_luke

A six color vs. a four color machine can make a difference , better speed, and a better color gamut, to name 2 reasons, but the absolute key is getting the machine properly profiled.

Unless you have an existing need, or have a solid plan and ability to sell the output, you probably don't want to bother with the white ink.

Generally 6 color machines are slower

The white does NOT clog the heads, if you do not agitate the cartridges when prompted the ink settles in the bottom of the cartridge and ink lines, once you have shaken the cartridges and do a medium clean (or two) on that bank of heads then all is good. Yes, you can set the XC and XJ series to 6 or 4 color (4 being the fastest), and only the XC can be 6 color, 4 color, or 4 color with White. Of course the LEC300 UV printer also prints WHITE and CLEAR! But, it's for a very small nitch market (proto type labels, boxes, etc...).

mark in tx

Generally 6 color machines are slower

Speed of the machine depends on the model, make etc...

When you look at the Rolands, the 6 color XC 540 is faster than the VP 540, or the SP 540.
That has just as much to do with the mechanicals of the printer as the amount of colors.

A Gandi is going to be faster, An Epson with 12 colors can be faster

Color set alone won't determine speed.

Still comes down to proper profiling, which not only sets color output, but includes the tuning of the machine for optimum passes, optimum feed speed, scan speeds for each resolution, etc....

jasonx

Yep I have an XJ640 in 6 color mode and added an XC540 just for white ink option.

Schultz Designs

Thanks for the replies guys. Would a person have to hold a 6 colour print right next to a 4 colour print to see a difference? Or is it one of those things that you will only notice when someone points the difference out to you?

mgieske

Having personal experience with an upgrade from a SP540V Versacamm to a Soljet SC545EX last year; I would say without a doubt that all our prints have improved dramatically when it comes to print quality across the board. Black is no longe charcoal looking & our Roland spot color chart has a noticably better transitions between the swatches. Also, 8 minute 4x8ft banners in standard mode is nice. I also couldn't live without the takeup reel on the soljet.

You will see transitions (fades) being much smoother, and light tones better (ie skin color), reds and blues better, and greys being better. Of course profile makes a big difference, but generally the 6 color is best overall. Yes, the printers do go faster in 4 color mode vs 6 color...but you give up a bit of color quality with the 4 color.

CustomRide

does anyone out there have any real world experience that would help judge how a versacamm 54" printer would hold up colour wise to the 54" soljet? The reason I'm leaving out model numbers is that I'm not close enough to buy one to care about specifics yet, I just want to know if the soljet's 6 colour printing really blows away the versacamm's 4 colour. Can you print decent photographs in large format (resolution acceptable of course) on the vcamm or is the soljet way better suited for that kind of thing.

Thanks so much.

We just did a vp vs xp test the other day. It really depends on your application to be honest. The vp works just as good as the XC but minor extended color gamut is nice but what I think is really nice is you can do dual cmyk on the XC. If you are not dealing with super critical customers and you are decent at designing and profile setup I would lean towards the VP.