• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks - How to stop media from advancing after print

njsignguy

Hello, after I send a job to Versaworks v 5.2.2 it advances about 6-8 inches of media. I send a lot of jobs throughout the day to the printer and I have to go to the printer to send the media back so I don't waste the blank unprinted area. Is there a way to adjust the amount the media advances after a print? Thank you

burgmurk

Hi there. It probably has to do that to dry the end of the print properly.
If you send the jobs all at once, (or even send one while another is printing) it will continue without that gap (at least i found this to be the case with an xj-640 and a BN-20, but all machines work a little differently).

Edit: oh is it doing this BEFORE the print starts? It's best to let it do that for the first print of the day, but if you queue like I mentioned above it shouldn't do it in between prints. That's more about not printing over dust or stock that has sat under heat for too long.

Last edited:

dbeere

Make sure your document size does not have extra artboard around your image unless it's needed, take off the extra in document setup. Depending on how much extra document you have will determine how much media is released before and after print. This could be one solution.

InkjetAuction

Feed for Dry

It may be the FEED FOR DRY functionality. It's there to make sure that the trailing edge of the print makes it to the dryer.
This can be ENABLED or DISABLED in the printer menu. Default functionality is ENABLED.

Locating this setting will depending on your printer model.
On the SP/VP-series VersaCAMMs it is found in MENU > SUB MENU > FEED FOR DRY
On VS, VSi and Pro4 it is found in MENU > HEATER MENU > FEED FOR DRY
I don't recall the location on the Pro II and III... but it will be something like above.

When ENABLED, the printer uses a MINIMUM MARGIN of 10cm (4" or so) between print jobs. However, if you set a larger margin (via the RIP), it will use that value instead.

When DISABLED the media feed stops when printing ends leaving the trailing print edge short of the dryer (Margin is ignored).

Most production shops DISABLE FEED FOR DRY as the next job will push the first job onto the dryer.
Smaller shops running one job at a time should consider keeping FEED FOR DRY ENABLED. Just back up the media a couple of inches before running the next job.

~E

Hello, after I send a job to Versaworks v 5.2.2 it advances about 6-8 inches of media. I send a lot of jobs throughout the day to the printer and I have to go to the printer to send the media back so I don't waste the blank unprinted area. Is there a way to adjust the amount the media advances after a print? Thank you

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
It may be the FEED FOR DRY functionality. It's there to make sure that the trailing edge of the print makes it to the dryer.
This can be ENABLED or DISABLED in the printer menu. Default functionality is ENABLED.

I don't recall the location on the Pro II and III... but it will be something like above.

When ENABLED, the printer uses a MINIMUM MARGIN of 10cm (4" or so) between print jobs. However, if you set a larger margin (via the RIP), it will use that value instead.

When DISABLED the media feed stops when printing ends leaving the trailing print edge short of the dryer (Margin is ignored).

Most production shops DISABLE FEED FOR DRY as the next job will push the first job onto the dryer.
Smaller shops running one job at a time should consider keeping FEED FOR DRY ENABLED. Just back up the media a couple of inches before running the next job.

~E

This makes perfect sense, but my old Roland runs it long to let it dry, then pulls it back in, where my new Roland pushes it out and leaves it there.

oksigns

I don't know what other Rolands are set at, but my XR-640 is default to 40mm of media at the beginning and ending. That is fine for the beginning, but for many cutting operations that require me to refeed the media in, 40mm is not enough media at the trailing end for the printer to detect crop marks safely without the edge detector running out of space. I like around 80mm in those types of jobs.

Typically, when I have long runs, I load the media up and reel back the leading edge as far as it will go and set page spacing INSIDE versaworks.

Alternatively, you can use CustomCUT in the Layout tab in that particular job to set a specific page height and never fuss about extra material. Make sure your artwork does not have extra white space and that it IS just the artwork that needs to be printed.

Roland VersaWorks - Custom Cut - YouTube

Roland VersaWorks Print/Cut Accuracy with Multiple Copies - Roland PDF Document

pgspace.PNG

njsignguy

Thanks for all the input. The feed for dry is what fixed the option for me. Running a job back to back didn't have the same result and still left the same amount of space.

SYYED SHAKEER

Feed for Dry

~E
Thank You very much INKJET AUCTION for helping me on November 30th 2019 from a your solution posted on December 15th 2016

SYYED SHAKEER

I don't know what other Rolands are set at, but my XR-640 is default to 40mm of media at the beginning and ending. That is fine for the beginning, but for many cutting operations that require me to refeed the media in, 40mm is not enough media at the trailing end for the printer to detect crop marks safely without the edge detector running out of space. I like around 80mm in those types of jobs.

Typically, when I have long runs, I load the media up and reel back the leading edge as far as it will go and set page spacing INSIDE versaworks.

Alternatively, you can use CustomCUT in the Layout tab in that particular job to set a specific page height and never fuss about extra material. Make sure your artwork does not have extra white space and that it IS just the artwork that needs to be printed.

Roland VersaWorks - Custom Cut - YouTube

Roland VersaWorks Print/Cut Accuracy with Multiple Copies - Roland PDF Document

View attachment 117766
Thank You very much OKSIGNS for helping me on November 30th 2019 from a your solution posted on December 16th 2016. It is good when we disperse knowledge . Keep Printing !