• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Versaworks-Random Lines

txsurfer

We are getting random lines out of nowhere in the prints, AI pdf files, has to be some type of Transparency issue, but this has us stumped
Not banding type issues but actual thin straight lines

Attachments

• IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 292

euronymous

Probably an electrical issue, the cables that run the length of the machine and travel with the print carriage wear out over time. Stress points where they bend eventual cause small breaks that send a signal to the print heads to print something when the cable is bent a certain way. You can try cleaning the encoder strip with some alcohol, maybe theres some dirt where these lines are printed but my best bet is the cable from the print carriage to the main board
*EDIT* This is assuming that these lines are vertical (up and down as they come out of the printer)

txsurfer

I know exactly what you are talking about with the cable, we had that replaced about two months ago due to random stuff going on with printer and cut. This is something completely different only happens when we are working with Large Files for wraps, working in half size then 200% in VW, Can print all other files fine, Have a feeling its in Clipping Mask? or Just the Large files themselves?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
do not print from pdf file. EVER.
there is a way to turn on print proofing or something like that and you would see the hidden lines. I had similar problem before. I just stopped printing from PDF, just save it as eps. No more problems.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
do not print from pdf file. EVER.
there is a way to turn on print proofing or something like that and you would see the hidden lines. I had similar problem before. I just stopped printing from PDF, just save it as eps. No more problems.

Except Roland specifically tell you to use PDF if you have transparencies. PDFs haven't failed us in ~6 years of Roland printing. We only use EPS for cut graphics now.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Except Roland specifically tell you to use PDF if you have transparencies. PDFs haven't failed us in ~6 years of Roland printing. We only use EPS for cut graphics now.

Well, I will be honest. what I meant is I don't use pdf files that others sent to me for this reason. As I said I read about this and I think you can turn on print proofing to see if there is anything shady going on. And I only had a couple of problems in 10 years but I try to avoid pdf printing and because of that, my problems were a few. Not sure why roland recommend using pdf, maybe I'll look in to that. I like to design in Ps. The only time I use illustrator if I have to print good colors, then i use the Roland color palette, so I can get perfect blacks and greys. Now I will have a food truck printed and the lady asked me 5 times to change the shade of green. I had to print hew samples from the roland swatch and I will let her decide what she wants. ( btw i found an illustrator script that creates a perfect presentation for the swatches. Creates squares with colors in them and also stamps the name and CMYK info on each square. I was thinking printing 4x2 inch sample cards but it would be like 52x220 inch to print the whole roland palette o_O)