• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VersaWorks slow print

david6211

Hi all,

I have a VS540 running Versa Works 4.8.0. The issue is when you print, the printer pauses about 3 seconds on each end of the print job and continues to do this until you cancel the job. Once the job is cancelled, the print job speeds up and then stops. I have checked cables, checked for IP configuration conflicts, reloaded Versa Works, checked for updated firmware for the VS540. I was even told to check the ink cartridge's, still the same issue. Oh, this is running over a network and not directly tied into the computer and using Windows 10.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
This sounds like a data transmission issue, as you are printing over a network. Are there are lot of users on this network? If it is a busy network, you could try a faster network switch. A simpler, better and cheaper option is to install a second network card in the computer and connect it directly to the printer.

david6211

This sounds like a data transmission issue, as you are printing over a network. Are there are lot of users on this network? If it is a busy network, you could try a faster network switch. A simpler, better and cheaper option is to install a second network card in the computer and connect it directly to the printer.
Yes, this is printing over the network. I’m dealing with an IT department so this driving me nuts. It seems like a network lag, they say no. Funny this started right after the upgrade to Win10. I requested a separate NIC to be installed on this computer for a direct connection to the Roland.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
IT people don't do well in wide format printing environments, LOL... They don't seem to understand the amount of printing data is, in essence, streaming data. The direct connection should solve your issue. Where are you located in Florida?

netsol

IT people don't do well in wide format printing environments, LOL... They don't seem to understand the amount of printing data is, in essence, streaming data. The direct connection should solve your issue. Where are you located in Florida?

jim,
with david's situation, the problem could have been solved with a vlan, or with QOS settings in the switch, but probably easier to add a second lancard, as long as no one else needs to print to this device

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
netsol,
I defer to your expertise in this area. My networking knowledge only goes so far. As far as anyone else printing, typically setting up a hot folder usually takes care of this.