• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vertical streaking on 3640 matte?

Lea Marc

Hi everyone,

We recently printed a job with a large number of 36 x 60" signs on Orafol 3640 Matte with our HP Latex 360. It printed well but afterwards we noticed some vertical streaking where the ink was still a bit damp. It was very inconsistent though, it happened in different places and at different times. The streaks were 8-14" long, I talked to our tech who said it could be material related considering it's so inconsistent. I had recently re-oiled the carriage rod and cleaned the encoder strip, fyi. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I have attached some pics which might help.

Steve

Attachments

• No streaking in middle.jpg
    No streaking in middle.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 252
  • Streaking in middle.jpg
    Streaking in middle.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 248
  • No streaking at bottom.jpg
    No streaking at bottom.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 259
  • Streaking at bottom2.jpg
    Streaking at bottom2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 259
  • Streaking at bottom.jpg
    Streaking at bottom.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230

Lea Marc

I think I figured it out. The heat settings in the default profile were set to 230C, I bumped up to 241C and added an interpass delay. The streaking was so feint you could barely see it coming off the printer but it was more noticeable after being packed tight on the take up core and unrolled for finishing. The position of the streak was exactly where there was a gap between the blocks of fans above the heat plate..

CharlieA

We had the same issue printing a large swatch of PMS 534 on our new HP 365 printer. Brand new. After 5 weeks of going back and forth with HP the admitted tha the could not print some tertiary colors such as dark out of gamut colors such as our color. This is mentioned on page 215 of their manual also but the went down the same old road of it's the material before they admitted 5 weeks later the real problem. They cannot print that color without vertical banding on that class of machine. We sent it to another shop to print and they tried the color on two different machines than we had and they said it was the color. Tertiary colors. What not to design with. Unfortunately most branding uses these sorts of color.

Attachments

• 20191031_102838.jpg
    20191031_102838.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 131
  • 20191031_102842.jpg
    20191031_102842.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 131