• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Very interesting - I imagine we are all throwing away hundreds of dollars a year

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the ink costs them pennies to make.

attempting to calibrate the machine to measure more accurately will cost big bucks.

they are in business to make money, it simply doesn't make sense to fix something that isn't broken in their minds.

you still buy the ink and printer, so it's not broken.

I would suggest if this bothers you so much, stop using their product, as you have found out, they don't care...

Techman

attempting to calibrate the machine to measure more accurately will cost big bucks.

No it will not.. There are solid state sensors that measure liquids in microliter amounts. They have sensors already on the cartridges and in the machine to measure usage. All it would take is a firmware that measured the ink and issue appropriate warnings while in use. Throwing away 8 OZ of ink that costs about 40 bux is ludicrous.

For example. My printer used to kill cartridges when it though it was time.. I installed a hack and now those same cartridges are printing 5x times longer than allowed before,, and are still operating just fine.

player

No it will not.. There are solid state sensors that measure liquids in microliter amounts. They have sensors already on the cartridges and in the machine to measure usage. All it would take is a firmware that measured the ink and issue appropriate warnings while in use. Throwing away 8 OZ of ink that costs about 40 bux is ludicrous.

For example. My printer used to kill cartridges when it though it was time.. I installed a hack and now those same cartridges are printing 5x times longer than allowed before,, and are still operating just fine.

Please tell me more about the hack!

Thanks

J Hill Designs

this was the only thing I liked about my printer. It would only flag a cart as dead if it stopped sensing the subtank filling during a pump cycle.

artbot

mimaki firmware (back in the day) allowed you to weigh the cart and then according to your math, tell the printer to continue by x amount.

gabagoo

I switched out to JetBest inks and at first I was a little worried, but it has been 2 years with no issues that I can blame on the ink itself. prints pretty well the same as Mimaki too...no blowing the lines.

Ok so having said that...There system is much better than OEM as you really don't waste ANY ink. You put in their own cartridges that have holders on the back that allow a half litre of ink to sit suspended upside down and slowly empty into the cartridges. They then sit like that and only when the bottle is empty do you replace them. Therefore all the ink has gone into the cartridge and the bottle is absolutely empty. On top of that the bottle has 500ml's and sells for about 1/3 the cost of a cartridge. Also use the Jet Best cleaning solution...1 litre bottle $40.00!!!:thumb:

jfiscus

Rap Master
I know we throw away thousands of dollars a year from ink cartridge waste on our Mimaki printers. The carts read empty when it seems like they always have around 5-10% left in them.
Putting a small 1/8" shim under the rear wheels helped cut it down by about half of what was left in each cartridge.

Both myself and another employee here have past history with Mimaki and bulk inks and have found that running the OEM inks here seems to cut all of the problems out that we had in the past.
So, we run them only in our printers and have not had any problems out of them at all since then, and we run a LOT of vinyl here. keeping your printers running as often as possible also seems to help the printers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have a question...... is this video true ?? Do all Epson 9900 lose this much ink each and every time or is it just lousy beeps not sounding ?? Seems a little excessive to lose that much ink and not be able to pull it through.

For what it's worth, if your machine.... any machine..... costs 16¢, costs 36¢ or costs 46¢, a square foot to print, you're only losing a few pennies on an 18" x 24" sign. Is that all that bad ?? Sure, no one wants to let money lay on the table, but is a few cents worth the hassle ?? I cannot believe that little bit of ink is worth $100's of dollars in a year's time. With one of our systems, it never goes empty. You just keep adding to it. The other system, I wrote a long time ago how we got around letting ink remain in the pouch. Quite simple. We pull the tab off that indicates for it to stop printing and fool the system into thinking a new cartridge has been installed. Now we can go about 40 more square feet. Problem solved. No need to reinvent the wheel. If that doesn't work for you.... raise your prices to make up for your loses. :wink:

MDKAOD

@Gino

We experienced the same thing as this video with two 11880's and a GS6000. Partly why we junked them after Epson fingered us. We would regularly leave on a Friday with 10% ink only to come in Monday morning to a machine that was inoperable because it was "out of ink".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
10%.... Okay, now that's a lot. All we'd lose would maybe be a few drops. I didn't have the sound on, so maybe in the dialog, it was mentioned as per the percentage of ink loss. So, you can't mess with your cartridges and have them keep on printing ??

noregrets

@Gino, yep this is happening with our GS6000 too, and I have experienced it in the past with water based cousins...... very dissapointing

player

Again, get a veterinarian hypodermic needle. Suck up the waste ink from the glass. Inject it into the same spot the printer jabs the cartridge.

Done.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
if anyone wants to sell me their empty eco sol max 2 cartridges let me know

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I would be curious to see how much ink is in he bags before using it, maybe they really have 900ml even though it's labeled 700ml and they have actually accounted for the issue.

derekw13029

I would be curious to see how much ink is in he bags before using it, maybe they really have 900ml even though it's labeled 700ml and they have actually accounted for the issue.

Nah, he measures a full cartridge and it's 700 ml.

Just like everything else in this capitalistic world....it's a rip-off.

lgroth

Installed a bulk ink system on our Roland about 4 years ago... Cartridges went bye-bye and inks are $140 per liter instead of $135 for 440ml. The only ink that isn't put on media is from head cleaning :Big Laugh