• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vg 540 truevis question

Mainframe

This question is for anyone running a truevis vg 540, if you are running dual cmyk ink pouches and one pouch runs out while you are printing, will the machine stop and beep until you change the pouch, or will the printer keep on printing until the job is finished? If the machine stops and makes you change the pouch I am having a hard time understanding what the dual cmyk advatantage is.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
It will stop. Each bag feeds it's own head.
Dual CMYK allows twice the amount of dots to be layed down per pass, so faster prints.

CanuckSigns

It will continue to print as long as one of the bags has ink in it. You will get a flashing light on top of the empty bag but the printer will still run as normal.

Mainframe

Thanks for the replys folks, are you running a truevis canucksigns? The replys say the oposite but if you are running one you would know.

Mainframe

I am getting a new truevis this week, trading in the vp540, hoping i will like the new printer as much as I did the old one, I ran it 10 years all i ever did to itvwas change the cap tops and the wipers twice. It was a champ but main board fried and I am ready for an upgrade.
If you guys are running one any tips or advisories you woul like to share?

CanuckSigns

I ran a true vis vg640 for a year and a half, we now run an Epson surecolor. My experience with the tru vis was not a positive one, I won't go into detail on here in the open due to some ongoing issues, but if you want to PM me I can go into detail.

Mainframe

I need the machine to have print cut capabilities so epson doesn't blow them out of the water on that ha ha, I can't figure out how to private message on this new forum software, I don't like this new format so I'm never on here, I called my sales rep and told him I read some bad reviews on this machine (they sold me my vp 10 years ago) he said they had some bugs at first but have them worked out.

It's a little late in the game to change now, it is coming friday. I am used to versaworks and also print/cut so we will see what happens, I am a retired Porsche/Audi tech and have fixed some nasty problems with those in my day, hopefully if I have trouble i can get it figured out.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I'll give you that on the cutter, but the Roland cutter is mediocre at best also.
We tested nearly every machine we could organise a demo for, and Roland weren't up to par this time around for us.
I could say more, but since the deal is settled, I do hope you get a good run from the equipment and there are plenty of success stories.

Mainframe

The cutter on my vp was feakishly dead on for 10 years, crop marks or straight print cut, I hope they haven't taken a step backwards, I was the only one to touch the machine so I think that helps a little, at this point I must admit I am a little nervous, being a 1 man shop i really rely on my printer to pay the bills

I will let you folks know how it goes, my biggest problem is lack of good research time, I needed a replacement and went with what was familiar. Time will tell

CanuckSigns

I need the machine to have print cut capabilities so epson doesn't blow them out of the water on that ha ha, I can't figure out how to private message on this new forum software, I don't like this new format so I'm never on here, I called my sales rep and told him I read some bad reviews on this machine (they sold me my vp 10 years ago) he said they had some bugs at first but have them worked out.

It's a little late in the game to change now, it is coming friday. I am used to versaworks and also print/cut so we will see what happens, I am a retired Porsche/Audi tech and have fixed some nasty problems with those in my day, hopefully if I have trouble i can get it figured out.

I hope it works out well for you, I went through 3 tru vis machines because Roland couldn't figure out what was causing the issues we were having. I was told our case is extremely rare and they have never had those many issues with multiple machines before, but I have read a few threads and spoken to a few people who say otherwise.

Like I said, I hope you have better luck with your machine than I did with mine, if you need anything please feel free to reach out.

I hope it works out well for you, I went through 3 tru vis machines because Roland couldn't figure out what was causing the issues we were having. I was told our case is extremely rare and they have never had those many issues with multiple machines before, but I have read a few threads and spoken to a few people who say otherwise.

Like I said, I hope you have better luck with your machine than I did with mine, if you need anything please feel free to reach out.
This was exactly what I was told about my Truevis SG540, one of a kind problem and probably I'm the first person on Earth to have problem with a roland machine... Now it looks that i'm not the one. Got rid of it today. Wish you luck with yours.

DJr

Not so rare we went through 2 Tru Vis printers for the same reasons they couldn't figure out multiple error messages. We went to a XR 640 Pro 4 and it's been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainframe

So I had my rep have the tech call me today, we had a lenghthy conversation about the truevis, I told him I can't find anything good on 101 about it, when I bought my vp 10 years ago people were raving about it, so I asked him, what gives? Is this thing going to drive me insane all the way to the poor house?

Here is what I was told, early on when these shipped, he felt the ink was different than it is now, but he has no way of proving it, but the early ones gummed up really quick and due to thicker ink, they had to run more cleaning cycles, couple that with some crop mark voltage problem (NOT SURE OF THE DETAILS ON THAT ONE) But it is resolved, I guess they have had a lot of firmware upgrades so far but he says he has multiple owners up and running these pretty hot right now.

He is confident I will run fine and will love the machine, which is now not coming until Monday, he said he will be there 2 days, one set up and one training. Like I mentioned before, I will post an update as to how I do and my first impressions with it, thanks all for the input.

kanini

Looking forward to see what you think of it, I think the TrueVIS can perform really good and it is sometimes good to have a machine that not every printer around you has as well. Please let us know how it goes and I'm sure you're going to love your machine!
PS! Good point getting in touch with your tech at this stage, now they know to give you really good service if something actually would occur!

So I had my rep have the tech call me today, we had a lenghthy conversation about the truevis, I told him I can't find anything good on 101 about it, when I bought my vp 10 years ago people were raving about it, so I asked him, what gives? Is this thing going to drive me insane all the way to the poor house?

Here is what I was told, early on when these shipped, he felt the ink was different than it is now, but he has no way of proving it, but the early ones gummed up really quick and due to thicker ink, they had to run more cleaning cycles, couple that with some crop mark voltage problem (NOT SURE OF THE DETAILS ON THAT ONE) But it is resolved, I guess they have had a lot of firmware upgrades so far but he says he has multiple owners up and running these pretty hot right now.

He is confident I will run fine and will love the machine, which is now not coming until Monday, he said he will be there 2 days, one set up and one training. Like I mentioned before, I will post an update as to how I do and my first impressions with it, thanks all for the input.

I saw some beautifully performing Truevis machines but I don't like the fact that this printer doesn't have 'pass control' that can 'heal' banding. The VS can bypass a few clogged nozzles if they fail, so other nozzles will cover the bad ones. Currently I have high hopes with Mimaki150-130 - it has all the features as the old versacamm printers (it can map and cover up up to 10 clogged nozzles/row and 1440 dpi VS 900dpi) and its much cheaper.

If my truevis was good from the beginning I would have really loved it (the mimaki is ugly af) but mine came with MANY different problems at once, like bent feed encoder, banding on all 4 colors, pinch roller almost 'cutting' into material, constantly asking for manual cleaning, very ugly print quality in BIDIRECTIONAL, and filling up waist bottle like crazy.

On the good side it has beautiful colors. And it's heavy. That's it.

I don't want to scare you, hope everything will be ok with your machine, just want you to know these issues and if your machine produces these symptoms just give it back right away.

Mainframe

Thanks for the info ewded, I will be running this thing through it it's paces before I sign off on it, I will have multiple files ready with cut lines, gradients etc. So it will have to perform with flying colors or it's a no go, when they set my vp up i shot 12 banners out the next day no problem, this will do the same and print and cut with and without crop marks.

I was an auto tech for 25 years and i will be watching everything at this point but I really apreciate the honesty and I will give a report, from a technician standpoint it sounds like your machine was dropped by the dock workers, but if you had it replaced with the another and it still didn't work yikes, sounds like i am walking into a bit of a storm. I will be reporting back for sure.

CanuckSigns

Another thing to look out for, ours was giving us horrible banding after printing around 20 feet of material, it printed perfectly up untill around the 20 foot mark than it started banding like crazy, completely ruined a few banners that way!

Also for your records, 2 of our 3 tru viz machines worked perfectly for the first 6 months, than issues started happening, so make sure you document absolutely everything that goes wrong with the printer to your tech, even little things that seem petty.

I can also vouch for the fact that this machine drinks ink! I was emptying the 500ml waste tank every 3-4 weeks, compared to our VS 540 which was every 6 months, keep in mind that's $150 worth of ink you are dumping each time you empty it.

Another thing to look out for, ours was giving us horrible banding after printing around 20 feet of material, it printed perfectly up untill around the 20 foot mark than it started banding like crazy, completely ruined a few banners that way!

Also for your records, 2 of our 3 tru viz machines worked perfectly for the first 6 months, than issues started happening, so make sure you document absolutely everything that goes wrong with the printer to your tech, even little things that seem petty.

I can also vouch for the fact that this machine drinks ink! I was emptying the 500ml waste tank every 3-4 weeks, compared to our VS 540 which was every 6 months, keep in mind that's $150 worth of ink you are dumping each time you empty it.
Hi Canuck, is the VS able to produce significantly better quality in your opinion , was yours set up with light color or 2xcmyk?

CanuckSigns

Hi Canuck, is the VS able to produce significantly better quality in your opinion , was yours set up with light color or 2xcmyk?
do you mean VG?

Our VG 640 was set up as dual CMYK, and when it was working, it was an amazing printer, the issue was, it was broken more often than it was working.