• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VHB or screws? Hmmm....

tulsagraphics

Hi guys!

I need to install a pair of 3x5 ACM sign faces in this double-sided frame (3" tube frame with 2" tube center --- for recessed faces). Normally I'd go with screws w// plastic screw caps, but I was thinking... what about 3M clear VHB tape instead (for a nicer finished appearance)? I don't remember the 3M series I have on hand -- but I do know it's what I use for outdoor/permanent ADA signs. The super strong stuff! Would this VHB adhere sufficiently on a black primed steel frame? (and if so, would I need VHB around the entire perimeter?

Any tips or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

RHNZO5n.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My vote is always for physical fasteners. Try to make them fit in, somehow.

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
We always use silicone in conjunction w/ VHB in situations such as this but, if that's not an option and you are concerned about the VHB sticking to the steel you could, though it adds to the cost, mechanically fasten aluminum tubing to the steel and then affix the sign faces to the tubing w/ VHB & silicone.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yesterday I took some signs down from a brick wall that I just put VHB on 4 corners...6 years ago. I destroyed the signs trying to get them off.

Billct2

I think VHB with Lexel around the whole perimeter would be fine. With tow faces the only wind load is pushing it into the frame. But if you are concerned and want to add a few mechanical fasteners use some beefy pop rivets which will hardly be noticeable after touching up.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Like Gino said, physical fasteners. You're going to make yourself or someone else have a bad day down the road trying to change those signs out if you use VHB.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Like Gino said, physical fasteners. You're going to make yourself or someone else have a bad day down the road trying to change those signs out if you use VHB.

EDIT, I didn't mean to post twice. Slow site made me click twice..

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Yeah, I'm usually all for VHB, but save yourself or the next guy some trouble and screw it in. Paint the screws to match the face, if possible.