• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VHB Tape

10sacer

Hi all,

Knowing that there are many versions of VHB tape out there - was curious for recommendations for which version to use to hang 8 foot by 5 inch strips of 1/4" acrylic to drywall?

Thanks for the help.

MikePro

dont need tape along full-length. can get away with 4" tabs every 8-12" and fill the void with blobs of 100%silicone

Moze

Precision Sign Services
For what it's worth, I'll add this:

Drywall is rarely perfect. The surface is often uneven due to studs not being flush with each other, etc. If there are irregularities in the finished surface the strips will be going on and you flush-mount them with tape, they may follow/reflect/highlight any of those irregularities. I have no clue what this install actually looks like, but it may be better to stud-mount them and use spacers so you have some adjustment.

Pat Whatley

Your customer is gonna love you when they go to take the signs down and destroy the signs, the wall, and the emotional stability of anyone within earshot.

David Wright

Ok Pat, also use this.

Attachments

• spackle.jpg
    spackle.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 140

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
I prefer the RP45 with the paper liner. So much easier to get off as compared to the red plastic liner.

The thicker foam conforms better to rough or irregular surfaces. I always use an adhesive like PowerGrab or Lexel to backup the tape. Without it the signs will slowly slide down the wall especially in the winter months when they turn the heat on or in direct sunlight.

3M VHB

Hi all,

Knowing that there are many versions of VHB tape out there - was curious for recommendations for which version to use to hang 8 foot by 5 inch strips of 1/4" acrylic to drywall?

Thanks for the help.

3M 4905 VHB is rated to hold 1 pound of weight per 4 square inches of tape. But the bonding surfaces need to be alcohol wiped and non porous. You could attach a bracket with VHB and use sheetrock fixings to attach to wall. That's a safer approach.

Marlene

paints these days have additives in them so dirt doesn't stick and it also some times means VHB tape of any kind won't stick. make sure your wall is tape friendly. easy test is a piece of masking tape. if you apply it to the wall and you can pull it back off without any resistance, good chance the wall has been painted with one of these paints.