• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Video Editing Software

SkyHighJK

I'm working on a few how-to videos for some new products Gans has recently released and will be releasing (X:Base, specifically), and I'm quite the noob when it comes to video editing. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for relatively inexpensive and easy to use software.

The footage is shot on a GoPro, so the video quality is good and the audio is perfectly acceptable (not amazing).

So far I've just been using the GoPro editing software that comes free but I think I need something just a tad more versatile.

Thanks in advance!

WildWestDesigns

For my videos (I too use a GoPro and a Samsung 360 video camera), I mainly use Premiere Pro. You can get Premiere Elements for not that bad of a price.

The other thing is Kdenlive. I think though for Windows machines it's still beta, but for Linux rigs it seems to be fairly stable. I still prefer Premiere, but Kdenlive is getting better (at least on Linux rigs, I haven't tried the Windows version).

To get it to run on Mac, I think you have to compile the source code and then install.

I like the Linux version, because you can get it in a portable version (AppImage), but I digress.

SkyHighJK

I should also have mentioned: I'm running Windows 10 64-bit on a not-very-fast computer (Intel i3, 3.4 GHz, 4 gigs RAM). I don't necessarily need fast rendering speeds, etc., but it can't be anything too crazy that'll cause my computer to crash!

WildWestDesigns

I should also have mentioned: I'm running Windows 10 64-bit on a not-very-fast computer (Intel i3, 3.4 GHz, 4 gigs RAM). I don't necessarily need fast rendering speeds, etc., but it can't be anything too crazy that'll cause my computer to crash!

That is a little on the low side for video editing. It might help if you can "kill" any unneeded background process as well.

Also, 64 bit OSs usually like a little bit more RAM minimum to even run the OS compared to their 32 bit counterparts. Half of your RAM could easily be going to just running that 64 bit system.

SkyHighJK

That is a little on the low side for video editing. It might help if you can "kill" any unneeded background process as well.

Also, 64 bit OSs usually like a little bit more RAM minimum to even run the OS compared to their 32 bit counterparts. Half of your RAM could easily be going to just running that 64 bit system.

Great call on that. Usually in my day-to-day operations I'm utilizing ~50-85% of available RAM (but not including virtual RAM I'm guessing) but it seems like the majority of that is Google Chrome (and the 10 or 15 tabs I always seem to have open).
Thanks for the advice on shutting down background tasks!

-Jordan

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

If you could double your ram to 8 GB, you'll see quite a performance boost from that, alone. And if you would like to edit video, I would recommend 16 GB of ram... its the cheapest, easiest way to get better performance from your computer (other than, as mentioned by others, optimizing your OS, like killing unnecessary processes)

WildWestDesigns

VideoStudio Pro isn't bad at all and is reasonable price (Corel Family) VideoStudio Pro Video Editing & Publishing Software

That's pretty much the same price range as Premiere Elements as well. I think it's 69.99 for the download. I think anyway.

Never mind 99.99. Amazon was running a promotion for the Windows download. That's why I was thinking that. So Elements is the same price (regularly) as VideoStudio Ultimate it looks like.

SkyHighJK

If you could double your ram to 8 GB, you'll see quite a performance boost from that, alone. And if you would like to edit video, I would recommend 16 GB of ram... its the cheapest, easiest way to get better performance from your computer (other than, as mentioned by others, optimizing your OS, like killing unnecessary processes)

Good call OGR. Looks like I have an excuse to go to Fry's this weekend (which is both fun and and terrible at the same time!)

WildWestDesigns

If your already an Adobe CC subscriber you can get Premier Pro, Audition, and After Effects....

That's the best combo right there. While I do also have Ae, I don't have it installed, so I can't say much about that program.

What I'll do is use the GoPro (or other video recording device), strip the audio that's recorded by the device and use Au and a good quality mic (Shure 55 Classic is the specific one that I use) with mixer and record new audio to merge back in.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Like This!

Well, that's new for me! ... I'm still using CS2 and CS3... I honestly thought you were either trolling or just completely missed the question.

Video editing in PhotoShop!! Who knew? (probably everyone except me)

Thanks for this.

Morph1

Print all
Haha. Yea, I'm using CS6 Extended.
It' got a lot of goodies.
Sony Vegas 14 is a great video editing application that also carries range of effects text and video , it is very easy to integrate with sound,
here is a video I did a few days ago with SV, I drone shot the footage, anyone heading for BC visit Hedley, check out the vid below,