• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Vintage" stake body signs

letterman7

Hello all,
I just had a fellow stop that owns a '51 Ford stakebody and wanted me to make some period correct signage to fasten to the stakes. Now, I'm not quite that old that I remember what truck signage may have looked like then, but I'm assuming it was a pretty mundane look, if stake bodies even had signs put on them. Anyone have any photos or links to some "vintage" truck advertising like that so I can steer this guy in a direction?
Thanks,
Rick

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just Google 'stake body truck with lettering' and a whole slew of stuff will appear before your very eyes.

Pat Whatley

You know, I'm getting sick and tired of people being told to Google something every time the come to this site. It's getting way past the point of being ridiculous that a simple plea for help is dealt with like that.

Bing has an image search feature, too, you know. Maybe you should try suggesting that next time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To show that I'm not prejudiced in any way.......

Just Bing 'stake body truck with lettering' and a whole slew of stuff will appear before your very eyes.

In fact, they have an even larger array of things to appear before your very eye.

:doh: Is that any better ??

letterman7

Thanks Gino... did you actually try that before suggesting? Or were you just upping the post count? Very little actually useful shown with those search terms, and yes, I've tried variants. I suppose I just didn't ask the question in terms the question was meant: what I'm looking for are suggestions or photos of signs that folks have created that either were or would have been used on trucks, on the stake bed, back in the 50's. I don't need letter fonts, I don't need layouts. I simply need to see if, in fact, signs were attached to the stakes what the overall shape and layouts were - nothing more.

J Hill Designs

like this?

Attachments

• farmstaketonkatruck.jpg
    farmstaketonkatruck.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 111

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gino... did you actually try that before suggesting? Or were you just upping the post count? Very little actually useful shown with those search terms, and yes, I've tried variants. I suppose I just didn't ask the question in terms the question was meant: what I'm looking for are suggestions or photos of signs that folks have created that either were or would have been used on trucks, on the stake bed, back in the 50's. I don't need letter fonts, I don't need layouts. I simply need to see if, in fact, signs were attached to the stakes what the overall shape and layouts were - nothing more.

Yes, I did. I then tried the BING, too. Both worked and Bing gave better results.

As for my post count, don't fret about that. It just shows I have a big mouth and in trying to help people just get a bunchash!t for helping.

Usually, in any of my answers, they have either been successfully tried by me personally in the past, or I tried it to see if it would work. I won't steer you or anyone else on a wild goose chase just for fun of it. I need a reason to do that and since Addie's gone, there's no one left.

Anyway, I'd like to address something you said and kinda indicated in your first quest and then again in your last. See the red about not needing layouts and then the larger red says you only need layouts ?? :frustrated:
Most stake body's back then had metal signs fastened onto the front part of the sides behind the doors. It generally was a roundish layout with very commercial lettering arcing or using the old depressor through a circle with copy trick.

letterman7

And seeing the red shows that you're picking words out of context, but that's ok. Yes, I do want to see what the basic formats of the signs were in general - if it was basic typography, arced copy (as you mention), whatever.. I was attempting to see if there was a basic trend that was used. Your last statement is what I was looking for - a trend. For whatever reason my search returns aren't returning much other than photos of stake body trucks.. not much help. Jhill's photo is a good reference point to start on.

R