• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl 101: Dealing with Dust in the winter

brycesteiner

It's the time of year when there is a lot of static and my latest vinyl roll (LG) has a terrible problem with attracting lint and dust from all the static. After working hard and throwing a lot of vinyl away (and ink) because of specks I came up with this.
attachment.php

I used these lint free cloths that I use for the printing press, cleaning the blanket and rollers. and put them together using double sided tape. I then applied 3M spray glue to the cloths, let it dry and then put it on the back of the printer with packing tape. The 3m spray glue seems to work well to grip stuff and thought it might work to keep the crap off.

I put out two more prints and they both looked good. I don't know if this is a good fix or not. So far it's working.

What do you do?

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 209

reQ

Usually don't have such problem, but been there and done pretty much same thing. Looks funny but gets the job done!

player

What about using anti--static dryer sheets plus Swiffer dust cloths? I think the Swiffer cloths are the floor sweeper replacement cloths. They really pick up dust.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to add humidity to the room, heck, even for your own noses ??

brycesteiner

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to add humidity to the room, heck, even for your own noses ??

I was wondering if that would help or if it was just my media.

Would adding the antistatic leaf metal (christmas garland?) help and grounding it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure, of course you can do that..... along with all the other homemade remedies. It's just like the pharmaceutical world. All these crazy drugs and symptom relievers only treat the symptoms, they don't adress the actual problem.

You Need to get rid of the static, not allow it to continue. Go to the source, take care of it and you'll find yourself a much happier camper.