• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl adhering to Ronan aquacote?

SW101

Has anybody painted and mdo sign with the Ronan Aquacote series and laid vinyl lettering over it? Particularly the aqua leaf series?
As a rule i have always used oil base paints for my background to ensure the adhesion of my vinyl.
I have used the Sherwin Williams industrial oil base for a year or two but havent been happy with the fading characteristics so i am trying to find a new paint series i can really rely on. Naturally 1 shot and Ronan come to mind so i am trying to look at pros and cons of both.
Current project is an mdo sign that needs a metallic gold background.

SW101

Has anybody painted and mdo sign with the Ronan Aquacote series and laid vinyl lettering over it? Particularly the aqua leaf series?
As a rule i have always used oil base paints for my background to ensure the adhesion of my vinyl.
I have used the Sherwin Williams industrial oil base for a year or two but havent been happy with the fading characteristics so i am trying to find a new paint series i can really rely on. Naturally 1 shot and Ronan come to mind so i am trying to look at pros and cons of both.
Current project is an mdo sign that needs a metallic gold background.

Sorry, I meant to say my concern with the aquacote is that since it is a water based paint is that i could have troubles with vinyl adhering

rossmosh

Look into Acrylic DTM paint. It's a bit like a hybrid of an enamel and a typical paint. Really good adhesive properties.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We used to use a product called Tri-Coat. It worked flawlessly. Generally we just use 1Shot bulletins for backgrounds. However, in your case, I don't think anyone makes a decent metallic gold.

My real concern would be something entirely different. I've never seen a metallic gold painted background with anything that works as copy or graphics. Brushed, satin, anodized and other finishes will work somewhat outside, but not well. Who or why asked for a metallic gold background ??

visual800

I use BEHR satin and sg paint, sprayed onto surfaces and have no issues with vinyl adhering. it has GOT TO BE DRY though, I mean days worth of drying