• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Application and Designing

BMurphy688

Hi There,

When working with a design that has multiple colors overlapping each other, should I install them as stated over one another? Or should I "intersect" or "subtract front minus back" so the pieces fit together like a puzzle?

Thank you for any feedback as it's all valuable.

Murph

rjssigns

Sub it out to a digital printer. That way you install one piece. Unless there are fluorescent colors or something like that you're good to go.
Also the time you will spend trying to index all the pieces and get them installed correctly will eat profit.
Check the merchant member directory for subs.

4R Graphics

Subing it out would make it easier but to answer your question you can do it either way.

If you can line them all up perfectlly or real close then subtracting will be a better look and thinner graphic but overlaying is probably alot easier to line up.

Either way is ok.

Pat Whatley

Overlay it. The problem with nesting colors is that if you're not 100% accurate with your alignment the seams become eyesores. If you do get your alignment dead on when the vinyl shrinks later the seams become eyesores.