• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl by the yard

jayhawksigns

What should be a rhetorical question but I'll ask anyways.

When you order vinyl by the yard from a supplier, is there ever a reason that you should expect it to come in 6 inches short? And then how would you feel if the supplier says that "They absolutely sent an extra yard of vinyl" suggesting that you either can use a tape measure or are lying about what you received?

We are now waiting on the third shipment of translucent 48" vinyl so that we can complete a job over a week since we placed the order. Just didn't know if I was expecting too much.

papabud

Lone Wolf
When ever i order by the yard i was having an issue with having a splice right in the middle of what i needed. a brief talk with my sales rep and that never happens any more. also i normally get a little extra material on my roll than under. but i am sure they have an over under percentage policy. but then i always order a little more than what i need to cover for my errors or something else.

StarSign

Sounds like you have a vendor that doesn't care. Could be a disconnect between the guy taking the order and the guy filling your order. That being said we always order extra just in case.

bannertime

My supplier that does by the yard/foot always gives extra. Try to order enough to do double the order anyway. At least enough to redo half the order.

We've ordered by the yard from Fellers' Chicago branch on several occasions and we always get the exact yardage that we order, not an inch more, not an inch less.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'll add my name to the shorting is rare crowd. The one or two times it happened, the supplier made it right. We almost always get 6" or more extra when ordering by the yard- I'm thinking the supplier does it to be sure.
I'd suggest going over the head of the person you've been dealing with if you want to keep doing business with them. That'll tell you very quickly if they care to continue doing business with you.

jayhawksigns

I emailed our outside sales rep for the company and she said she forwarded my email to a few people and is looking into it. Mistakes happen and I think I know why it was wrong the first time, just not being resolved well this time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
While we complain about the incidents where we are short-changed, how many times do you call them back and tell them they sent an extra foot or two ??

I do the majority of ordering here and almost always buy full rolls, but on the few occasions of buying some dumb color, I will ALWAYS buy more than I need. What happens if you make a mistake, the plotter goofs up or whatever Murphy's Law rule can take place ?? It's always better to be prepared for the worse than you keep doing things over. Besides, the customer pays for it in the long-run. It's nothing..... nada..... zero outta your pocket.

Pippin Decals

the next time you get an order of material . take a video of opening the box and measure the material ,and its off contact them and say you have proof and want it taken care of ASAP.. If they dont then i would start naming the company so everyone can avoid them.At least thats what i would do lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
the next time you get an order of material . take a video of opening the box and measure the material ,and its off contact them and say you have proof and want it taken care of ASAP.. If they dont then i would start naming the company so everyone can avoid them.At least thats what i would do lol

Haha..... good idea, but won't work. If it did happen to work, then everyone and their mother would start tampering with this stuff and faking the videos to get free sh!t. Ain't gonna happen with a video tape..... and besides, I'm sure in the fine print, they have a disclaimer that measurements won't be exact, just for this sorta thing.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It has caused issues in the past where a customer wants one seamless piece and you tell it to cut one at 25 ft and it runs out on a fresh 10yd roll... Or you print almost a whole roll of material, except like 10ft, and then web up a fresh roll on the laminator and run out of laminate on the last panel...