• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl cutter for automotive parts business

paintpro21

I own a performance parts business that deals primarily with track and autocross competitors. The business is significantly growning and I'm looking to advertise on my personal track car along with numerous customer vehicles.

Since there are going to be significant changes in the products we carry and our partnership with other businesses, things will be changing often. I don't want to, nor can I afford to pay to have vinyl cut and installed that will have to be replaced every few months. Plus some clients are willing to run advertising for a single event on their dual duty vehicles, but would like to tear them off after the event.

The only thing besides vehicle vinyls that would be made is a banner every once in a while along with small company logos that are handed out at events.

I've been looking at the roland gx-24 and teh graphtec ce5000-60. Besides these two I've been looking at used versions of these cutters to save more, or get a superior machine for the price of one of these.

Most of the forums I'm on have stickies with extensive product comparisons and recommendations for certain uses. I've spent a lot of time searching but I haven't come up with anything new that would help me make a choice.

Does anybody have any input that would kick start my product research again?

Here is an example of what a customer did himself when he borrowed a friends cutter. I don't need anything more extensive then this.

Thanks

-Eddy P

Attachments

• HT4U4857.jpg
    HT4U4857.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 153

GARY CULY

welcome from maryland, i use a mimaki cutter here but hang in there .someone here will have opinions on those cutters soon.
just from reading other threads ive seen good talk of both them machines sir

paintpro21

Yeah that seems to be what I noticed while searching. Although I'd love to nab one of them used for half the price if possible ;)

there is a mimaki 24" and a roland camm-1 in my area for $600/1000 respectively. the roland looks like the older model so i have to figure out what that lacks.

Techman

why don't u make a deal with a local vinyl jockey and let him handle it all.

Theres no way you can save enuf between the learning curve, software, extensive grahic CD's, materials etc to pay for that machine with what you are doing.

You are living in false economy. You are not the first to try this and won't be the last to sell your stuff later at a nice loss (or a good deal to real sign man..)

OldPaint

i used tp be AN AUTO PARTS MAN....NAPA 15 yrs.....and i PAINT.....so i got a lot of work from my customers(stockcars)....but i can tell you this one to, iam freinds with the U-PULL-IT and i did all their vinyl...UNTILL THEY BOUGHT A CUTTER... they had it a year....and iam back doin their work...gee wonder why???

paintpro21

well then before i get in over my head, what's a ball park price I'd be paying for things that are on that car in that attached phone; like the number plate and windshield banner?

OldPaint

YOU OF ALL PEOPLE..should already have a "barter" system in place......with people who need your PARTS for their services....
IAM A GEAR HEAD.... always doin something to the wheels...if you was here id do youre VINYL, SAVE YOU A BUNCH A MONEY Aand in return ...i get PARTS I NEED AT COST OR A GOOD ER THEN NORMAL DISCOUNT...............
i did this with my U-PULL-IT place, when i need something i go get it...fix my vehicle.......when they need something i do it and hand them the VINLY............i win they win....

Dave Drane

Yeah that seems to be what I noticed while searching. Although I'd love to nab one of them used for half the price if possible ;)
there is a mimaki 24" and a roland camm-1 in my area for $600/1000 respectively. the roland looks like the older model so i have to figure out what that lacks.

:rolleyes: I thought yesterday it was every second day but now the average is one a day...:wink:

paintpro21

Is that really crazy to pull off? These are just electronic devices that depreciate like most anything else. And for used item sales, cash is king. So If I grab a cx-24 for 700-800 bucks cash, tehn I think that's a reasonable deal

The Sign Dude

I am going to start an E Store that buys and sells used plotter paired with compatible software and a vinyl starter package.
I am going to call it The start my own sign business store.
I will be rich in a year. It will be an endless cycle of used Eq.
I Sell it to them when they start for $$$ and buy it from them when they go out for $

RedWolf

Does that used cx24 come with a warranty? If not, then any possible repairs could put you past what you would pay for a new GX24. But the machine itself is not going to be your biggest expense, the software and supplies will be. Plus it takes a bit more knowledge than using Windows Paint program to produce images ready to be cut. That is why a few mentioned about working out a deal with the local vinyl person in your area. As far as what you intend on using the cutter for, that would be the best route to go.

If you decide to talk to a local vinyl person in your area, you might even be able to reduce your costs a bit more if you are willing to weed the vinyl yourself and provide your own application tape. Time is money and we do charge for time, so that might cut your costs down a bit more per decal. Just a thought.

Matt

Techman

Most of the forums I'm on have stickies with extensive product comparisons and recommendations for certain uses.

Which forums have those comparisons. I'd like to see one..

Why would you wish to cut a working person out of his work and sacrifice your business to save a few bucks? Yes, spending time running a cutter, weeding the material, all to save $50 bux just isn't worth it. Then you add in the wasted material. the learning curve, the software and the tools. .. its not worth it,,
But then again maybe you wont believe it because I am just a little old in experienced sticker maker..
Whats your time worth? As a bizz owner your worth 100 bux an hour??.. How you goona save enuf on your graphics to make p what your times is worth?. Don't waste your time.

Dave Drane

I am going to start an E Store that buys and sells used plotter paired with compatible software and a vinyl starter package.
I am going to call it The start my own sign business store.
I will be rich in a year. It will be an endless cycle of used Eq.
I Sell it to them when they start for $$$ and buy it from them when they go out for $

Great idea... and when you franchise it out could I please become your Australian agent?? :beer:wine-smi::wine-smi:

paintpro21

So this is really that crazy of an idea? or is the primary issue that I'd be one less customer?

the local sign shops around here cost an arm and a leg of simple numbers ot put on the side of the car. I'm not going to pay $95 for a three digit 14" tall number, and then do so for 20+ of my customers. I don't remember saying I was getting into the vinyl business. This would be just one other tool for my business. paying to have vinyl cut, or paying to have my brakes done. it's the same to me.

Dave Drane

OK then you won't mind when someone comes along and sells chinese tools for $$$ below what you can sell them for.

Si Allen

Why are you still arguing with this dickhead?

He asked a question, was given good advice, and doesn't like the answer. It is not what he wanted to hear.

Let him buy a plotter, cutting program, vinyl, tranfer tape, etc. When he realises that he is losing his ass on his 'stickers', he'll sell it all, at a lost, to the next dickhead.

Dave is correct....there is a new one every day.

wildhock

Every single day there is another who stumbles across this great site and decides this is their life changing career. Just like Flavius the Real Estate guy last week.

Sir, it sounds like you have an established business and want to supplement that business with vinyl. That is great...but when you are initially talking about finding a used low cost cutter, that states that you may be cash sensitive. With that said, as Techman and others stated, you will have a lot more money outside of your cutter tied up in materials and supplies.

Jon

Techman

or is the primary issue that I'd be one less customer?

No, the primary issue is that there will be just one more amateur in the bizz that comes here to get free tech support from all the others who spent years and cash to learn our trade.

If you are really in the bizz you say you are then you should already know how to purchase at wholesale instead of paying retail.