• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Cutter for pop rollup banners

Tony Mah

Hello Everyone,

I work for an non-profit Global Aid Network and we bought a used Z6200 that we print pop banners with. We do about 200ft-300ft of material every year and we are very happy with the results. After 3 years I have come to the realization that even though we save a lot of money our staff will never be good at cutting and finishing and I am wondering if an entry level 42" vinyl cutter will allow us to automate the cutting?

Our workflow currently is this....
1. Print Banner
2. Book boardroom as it is the only room with a large enough table
3. tape down self healing mat as it curls
4. Tape down banner as we are not professional
5. Trim sides with giant ruler
6. Setup easy to use clam shell pop banner
7. Put all the supplies away

It would be amazing if we can reduce the process to:
1. Print Banner with registration marks
2. cut banner with Vinyl cutter
3. using the little table besides the printer, insert the banner into clamshell.

In my google searches I don't see the vinyl cutter used for this purpose. I see fancy contour cuts, but we don't need perfect corners. Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Tony

Tony Mah

I've heard that it's possible, but you'd be better off purchasing a Sooper Edge Ruler. It's big and purple and comes with a cutting tool. Well, make sure it comes with the cutting tool. All you do is line up the ruler and run the tool down the track.

Sooper Edge The Ultimate Safety Ruler | Image1Impact
I looked at that when I got the printer, we are in Canada, and shipping with shipping the Sooper is $300, but an entry level vinyl cutter used is $600. With the ruler we have to book the boardroom and setup the mat as we don't have a dedicated work space.

Wondering if someone can explain how a vinyl cutter might be used to do this?

Would I have to tape the banner on top of some 16mil poly scrap to act as a mat board for the vinyl cutter? I really only need the long edges cut and I can easily trim the short edges.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The $300 extra would save time and allow the vinyl cutter to be used for other stuff if we get creative.

Thanks,

Tony

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you're referring to a plotter when you say "vinyl" cutter, I think you're going to be better off with the ruler and booking the conference room.
You might want to look for a slitter instead- that would be a better option for accomplishing what you're going- as long as you load it straight.
A third option (that would seem to be the easiest): Buy your material at the width you need (i.e., if you have a 36" stand, buy 36" material) and only trim off the top and the bottom.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
worktable, long straightedge and Xacto is the basic setup. The big purple ruler with attachable cutter is preferred, and what we use here.