• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl decal pricing with oracal 651

Davidomilligan

So I'm assuming this has been asked before but ive tried searching and have not found an answer yet. so I'm new to the industry and have recently started marketing to some friends and friends of friends to make decals. I am trying to figure out how everyone is pricing this stuff. I have gone to multiple websites and some people charge $1.50 per 5 in by 5in decal. some charge $4-$5 . some people are charging by linear foot. how does your guys pricing work. for example I'm going to be cutting decals for a friend who is a musician he wants 600 stickers. 5x5in which ends up taking up about 24in x10.5 ft of vinyl. do you charge by how much vinyl you are using or per sticker at this point?

wildside

600 stickers. 5x5in which ends up taking up about 24in x10.5 ft of vinyl. do you charge by...

Might want to double check some math. If you are doing them at that size.....you'll be getting 4 per square foot and on 2 foot material, your only going to get about 80 decals in your 10 ft.... not 600 of them....

And we would price it by the decal quantity after knowing what we have into them for costs. Weeding 600 decals is no joke depending on layout.

Davidomilligan

Sorry there are three different colors I'll be doing so 200 per color so about 10.5ft per color

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wildside

Again.... your math comes up short. If there are 200 decals... either you are only accounting for a little under half the material you actually need or the decals are smaller than 5x5

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The material cost becomes much less of a concern with something like this. I strive for around $80-$100/hr. when doing anything. Some jobs there is no material cost, some (like cut vinyl decals) it's only like 10%. Some jobs get close to 50%... No matter what if I keep my rule of thumb of $80-$100 and not less then $60 ever... that's how I price it. Then again, I have enough work that I can stand to loose jobs that make less then $60.

There are very large shops around here that couldn't bother with it at $150/hr. and there are some that charge almost minimum wage. It's up to you how much you want to make. Really no "set price" for that kind of thing...at least not in my market.

Davidomilligan

Again.... your math comes up short. If there are 200 decals... either you are only accounting for a little under half the material you actually need or the decals are smaller than 5x5
Ya I might have had it set on another parameter from larger vinyl I was cutting I'll double check when I get back home

Davidomilligan

The material cost becomes much less of a concern with something like this. I strive for around $80-$100/hr. when doing anything. Some jobs there is no material cost, some (like cut vinyl decals) it's only like 10%. Some jobs get close to 50%... No matter what if I keep my rule of thumb of $80-$100 and not less then $60 ever... that's how I price it. Then again, I have enough work that I can stand to loose jobs that make less then $60.

There are very large shops around here that couldn't bother with it at $150/hr. and there are some that charge almost minimum wage. It's up to you how much you want to make. Really no "set price" for that kind of thing...at least not in my market.
I guess I don't have enough experience to know how long it will take me to cut and weed the material yet so giving an accurate per hour estimate is hard so I was trying to go with a figure out cost and markup based on material cost for now

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I guess I don't have enough experience to know how long it will take me to cut and weed the material yet so giving an accurate per hour estimate is hard so I was trying to go with a figure out cost and markup based on material cost for now

Do like 5 of them and time yourself. Take that and multiply it and you should get a good idea.

Davidomilligan

so I guess I completely spaced its actually 5in wide and 1 an 1/2 in tall. guess I should pay attention a little more before I post.

ams

The reason you have a hard time finding out pricing is because every city, county, town, country, area all have different pricing. You cannot charge $40/yard sign for a tiny town with 1,000 people, when the going rate is probably $15 in that area. The bigger cities charge alot more because their rent and bills are triple that compared to other areas. An average price per sq. ft. in my town is $17. Soon as you drive 30 minutes away to the next town, it averages $9. Also you cannot judge your pricing to online sign companies because generally they are out in the sticks, aren't open for customers to stop by and do all business online. They have a million dollars worth of equipment and can knock out thousands of signs a day with ease. Don't even try to undercut them, you will lose.