• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Express R31 vs. UsCutter SC 34

RProv

Hey guys. So I'm somewhat hesitant to even post this, but I'm hoping some of y'all out there have experience you could share.

I'm looking to buy a cutter and I've narrowed it down to the Vinyl Express R31 from Sign Warehouse, and the UsCutter SC model. I know the advice usually ends up being "get a Graphtec or Roland", but that's just not in the budget whatsoever. Also, I know there's folks who will say that all "budget" cutters are "junk", but I'm not really inclined to subscribe to that, as I've seen multiple people who have been running a vinyl side business for several years using their original R31 cutter with no issues.

I'm not sure whether I'm shooting for an eventual side business or not, and how exactly I would approach that, but at the very least, it would be an enjoyable hobby for me.

As I mentioned above, I was hesitant to even post this. I've read through several old threads in which "newbies" asking a couple specific questions ended up being totally lambasted by a few seemingly cynical/bitter old-timers, for really no reason.

I'm not looking for anyone's "trade secrets"; not trying to "steal" anyone's business; and I'm not an "end-user" trying to save a few bucks by doing it myself. I'm just someone who has done graphic design stuff as a hobby for a long time, and always wanted a cutter.

So I'm hoping anyone who has experience with either of the two cutters I mentioned, would be willing to share. Thanks guys.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
DO NOT get anything with a stepper motor in it! Get something with the servo motors! We tried the R31 and traded it for the
Endura Cut 3 from Sign Whorehouse! It came with the LXI 12 Software. Seems to me to be a copy of Flexi. GO SERVO! It will cut more accurate, and if you do small letters, you will be glad you got the SERVO Motors.
I will say, I will never buy anymore equipment from Sign Whorehouse! Supplies, yes, but no more equipment. The Endura Cut is a fairly decent machine for getting started.
I have an XY380 P Vinyl Express that I have had for over 10 years and still works great. I just couldn't find a cable that would work, to run it through my new computer, that only has USB ports.
But for a small budget, the Whorehouse is the place to get started.

RProv

DO NOT get anything with a stepper motor in it! Get something with the servo motors! We tried the R31 and traded it for the
Endura Cut 3 from Sign Whorehouse! It came with the LXI 12 Software. Seems to me to be a copy of Flexi. GO SERVO! It will cut more accurate, and if you do small letters, you will be glad you got the SERVO Motors.
I will say, I will never buy anymore equipment from Sign Whorehouse! Supplies, yes, but no more equipment. The Endura Cut is a fairly decent machine for getting started.
I have an XY380 P Vinyl Express that I have had for over 10 years and still works great. I just couldn't find a cable that would work, to run it through my new computer, that only has USB ports.
But for a small budget, the Whorehouse is the place to get started.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I hear you on the servo vs. stepper motor. I've been doing a bit of reading about it. I would love to go servo, but it seems that automatically bumps you up into the $800+ bracket, which is unfortunately outside of my budget. I have been keeping an eye on craigslist, but nothing ever shows up in my area (other than an occasional high-end Graphtec/Roland). Maybe I should browse ebay and see what's around?

How did the R31 perform, relative to what it is (not a high-end machine)?

Thanks again.

bannertime

I can't speak for US Cutter so I'll just share experience with Sign Warehouse.

We've been using Vinyl Express(SW rebrands) cutters since we stopped using the Gerber 4B in the 90s. Our last one was 16 years old before we replaced it. It still sits there connected to a computer in the corner. Don't think it's been turned on in a few years. When it was about 12 years old, I did have to replace a switch and power supply, but that was quite simple on that machine. Only time I've called for service was to check if our oldest Q series could get an ARMS sensor installed. They basically said no. Now we run two new Q series machines, but after these we most likely won't be using SW anymore. When you do have to deal with customer service, it's awful. I can say, after a recent, costly experience purchasing supplies from them, the service is nonexistent. This is really important when buying equipment. How do they do service calls, warranty repairs, etc. We don't really worry about that with our Q series. If we even get half the life of our old one, it'll have payed for itself plenty of times.

However, I don't know anything about the R series, but for what you seem to be doing, you'll probably be just fine. If the service aspect is important to you, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Or at least figure out what they can do for you, in your area.

TammieH

My "life" partner went behind my back and bought a new US Cutter a few years ago, it is approximately a 60lb paper weight... it has been a sore spot for me since.
...$700.00 down the drain...out of the box, it cut like garbage and was buggy as hell.

I would buy a used Graphtec, Roland or Summa etc. as long as you can see them running before you purchase.