• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Vinyl for Bare Sheetrock

Moises Millan

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and I opened my sign Business 6 months ago. I have a customer that needs Vinyl printed and stick it to the bare sheetrock, he decided not texturing or painting the wall to save money and Pay for Vinyl. I have seen good comments about PhotoTex but some people has recommended a very cheap calendered vinyl. Which material you suggest? The customer needs the material to last at least 5 years. Thanks for your help guys!!!

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion you and your client should do some testing of various products to meet your desired needs. Talk with your distributor sales reps to get the various information about the vinyls and what they say about applying directly to bare Sheetrock.

Without getting into too much science......
Calandered vinyls shrink! You are therefore asking the paper of the Sheetrock to hold its shape vs the shrinking vinyl. Winner = vinyl

I would NOT give any sort of warranty for vinyl applied directly to bare Sheetrock

Moises Millan

In my opinion you and your client should do some testing of various products to meet your desired needs. Talk with your distributor sales reps to get the various information about the vinyls and what they say about applying directly to bare Sheetrock.

Without getting into too much science......
Calandered vinyls shrink! You are therefore asking the paper of the Sheetrock to hold its shape vs the shrinking vinyl. Winner = vinyl

I would NOT give any sort of warranty for vinyl applied directly to bare Sheetrock
Thank you very much for your opinion my friend!!

CanuckSigns

Covering a wall with vinyl is cheaper than painting it? Since when?

I can see the benefit if you want to do a printed graphic that can't be done easily with paint, but it sounds like they want to use solid colour vinyl instead of paint.

Moises Millan

Covering a wall with vinyl is cheaper than painting it? Since when?

I can see the benefit if you want to do a printed graphic that can't be done easily with paint, but it sounds like they want to use solid colour vinyl instead of paint.
If we use cheap calendered vinyl the price is really competitive. Sqft of painted wall is around $3.5 and printed calendered vinyl without lamination goes around $4.5 sqft

Bly

Vinyl will probably stick fine to the paper but I'd check how well it stays down on the plaster that goes over all the joins.

signage

Vinyl will probably stick fine to the paper but I'd check how well it stays down on the plaster that goes over all the joins.

Also over all the screws/nails used to install the sheets. Also will the paper support the vinyl over time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You stated you've been in business for 6 months. DO you want to make this a career ?? If you bow down to every customer's whims about saving money and you hafta find a way to make something work which basically is not supposed to, then walk away from this ridiculous request.

It's about a 90% chance it's gonna fail. Then, who looks like the a$$hole.... the person making the request who will naturally say, well, you're the professional, you shoulda known it wasn't gonna work or you for saying, that's what you asked for...........

Some things can be done, but to put most vinyls on bare sheetrock with all the imperfections and other things that go along with it...... is just plain stupid. Tell them they must suck it up and properly prep the wall, before you put expensive vinyls on it and $4,50 to produce and install is also dumb.. Where or who are you getting your numbers from ??