• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for cornhole boards

Low XII

I was wondering what vinyl you all use for printing cornhole boards. I have vinyl that I use for wraps and decals but I'd like to find something a little thicker. Has anyone used the convex motorcycle decal vinyl which is like 12 mil seems like that be pretty decent stuff to use and very easy to apply. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken M. Klein

About ten years ago I made some cornhole boards for my kids -- MDO cut on the router with cupholders and all the options -- with college logos and other printed graphics. I've been retired for five years now, but I probably used Oracal vinyl. What I do remember is many, many coats of acrylic varnish to smooth the surface and eliminate the edges of the cut decals. I was afraid the vinyl would shrink and crack the varnish, but even after all these years, the boards still look great. Have some fun!

TimToad

Our dilemma is that most customers come to us after they've already built the boards from plywood with grain in it and house paint brushed on. Not exactly the best for adhesion.

We offer them a couple grades of vinyl depending how lousy of a job they did on the fabrication and painting. Rough surface vinyl works well and as a frequent player myself, using matte laminate is the way to go. The beanbags slide too much on gloss.

MikePro

its all in the finish. I've used cheap calendared vinyl AND cast vinyl, with the exact same results when finished with a water-based Polyurethane coat....pristine and long-lasting.

if you don't coat the boards, they will rot over time anyways when moisture gets into the MDO.

2B

It all depends on the amount of money the customer is willing to spend.

proper sealing of the MDO edges then coats in multi-layers of Poly.
handing vinyl and they install the pieces

what we have done for the DIY crowd.
*install the graphics to a piece of dibond, full coverage of satin / matte lamination, we have a router jig for circles. they then glue the dibond to the wood.