• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl for Tractor

brycesteiner

I have a potential client who wants to start putting decals on their lawn mowers and large Case tractors. What would be a good vinyl that won't have problems being on the hood of the tractor and yet not have problems because it's near the engine and all the heat?

Thanks!

Are the hoods on these tractors plastic? Most newer tractors have gone to plastic or composite hoods. If so, you may need something like Convex vinyl.

TXFB.INS

Why would plastic require a different material?

because they have a different energy level at the surface.

take a piece of vinyl and try to stick it to an ice chest ( plastic cooler) and see how that works.
these low energy surfaces MUST have a high tack adhesive

because they have a different energy level at the surface.

take a piece of vinyl and try to stick it to an ice chest ( plastic cooler) and see how that works.
these low energy surfaces MUST have a high tack adhesive

This is true but the ice chest analogy doesn't really work since the hood of the tractor would be a very smooth plastic and most coolers have the bumpy almost embossed feel to them.

This is true but the ice chest analogy doesn't really work since the hood of the tractor would be a very smooth plastic and most coolers have the bumpy almost embossed feel to them.

This is true but most of them are a similar type of plastic to what is used on ATV's and dirt bikes, which is what convex vinyl is made for.

TXFB.INS

true, but it was the closest thing I had to work with for 2 parts
  • just finished an order for Yeti coolers lettering
  • I have cooler under my desk ready for beer thirty :toasting:

splizaat

Are the hoods on these tractors plastic? Most newer tractors have gone to plastic or composite hoods. If so, you may need something like Convex vinyl.

This is true, but if it's painted regular vinyl will work.

If you're using low energy vinyl, also remember it shrinks about 5 times faster than even ****ty calendared lol....

OldPaint

the problem with the PLASTIC on new tractors......is the way the hoods are made. they are done in a MOLD.... before the liquid plastic is put in the mold, it is sprayed with a RELEASE AGENT........ similar to PAM COOKING SPRAY!!!!!!!! now the hot plastic hits the release agent, absorbs it where it has contact with it.......and the release agent is in the PLASTIC... i dont know a bout convex vinyl but unless you clean it well or reheat & clean.....NOTHING WILL STICK FOR LONG ON IT.

splizaat

I have done quite a few tractors/ride on lawn mowers here in Aus and I always use Arlon DPF 8000 and laminate. Works a treat.

I can't believe people still use that garbage film....it prints like ****, gums up your printer and takes 30 minutes to clean afterwards, and shrinks like hell. Switch to substance.