• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl lettering on awning doesn't stick

signperson

I would appreciate any help. Trying to letter an indoor awning with intermediate and gold leaf vinyl. The lettering keeps coming up. Do I need to mask the letters and spray with adhesive, or do I prime the awning with something. Does anyone know how I go about this?
Thanks

signage

Use the search feature this has been discussed many times!

Too many questions for just a straight answer.

Mikeifg

I used to to canvas sided trailers which was pretty much the same material. Do a 3M google search it's been years but the vinyl we used was a special material that was real rubbery and a PITA to install.

Craig Sjoquist

if it's fabric awning ....it will not stick at all
if vinyl awning ..... it will stick for awhile ..which depends on what type of vinyl & vinyl letters ....plus sun amount & movement in awning how fast

I always get jobs to redo ..lettering on vinyl awnings ... later on when they start peeling ... to reletter in paint

petepaz

not positive but i would bet the fabric as some sort of chemicals that repell the adhesive
whether it is for flame resistance or water or so it doesn't dry out
i think they are usually painted

DrCAS

You can get vinyl lettering to stick to Sunbrella. It needs to be laid out flat on a bench and stretched taunt. Apply vinyl in normal fashion. Before pulling transfer tape, you need to apply a rivet brush vigorously with light heat to the lettering. Slowly pull the transfer tape back onto itself slowly. When tape is removed, apply heat and use the rivet brush again to get the vinyl into the texture of the fabric.

3M also makes a vacuum heat press to do this. A little spendy but it works really well.

Bradster941

I would appreciate any help. Trying to letter an indoor awning with intermediate and gold leaf vinyl. The lettering keeps coming up. Do I need to mask the letters and spray with adhesive, or do I prime the awning with something. Does anyone know how I go about this?
Thanks

Wow, nice introduction of yourself to the board.

As was mentioned, toward the top of the page is a button called Search.

Silly I know, but you should start there. Allot of good information is available on this subject.

gabagoo

There was a product you could buy years ago called enamel coat which set the vinyl awning up to accept graphics. I think a lot of awning material has a silicone in it to repel dirt.

signperson

Thanks everybody for the info. Resolved the issue by masking and doing a combination of spray painting and hand painting. Now I'm at a loss on much to charge the customer.
This is my first time doing a job like this. The entire graphic is 108" x 40". The portion hand painted is about 10 square feet. It was hand painted due to poor coverage with the spray. The balance spray painted in 24 K gold paint is about 20 sq ft. The job took 4 hours from 9:30 at night until 1:30 am. inside a mall.
Any suggestions or formulas out there. Thanks again

iSign

$500 minimum, but doing first, & charging after only works with prices that are lower than expected...

... if you thought vinyl would work... that price is probably higher than even you expected...

...and you haven't told us if you discussed price with the client, so I'm going to assume you didn't, & I'm going to assume $500 isn't going to go over as well.

I hope I'm wrong/

Bigdawg

Just Me
Actually Doug I think you are pretty much spot on the price. We'd be 4 hrs@$125 hour on site installation (painting) plus materials.

signperson

I'm glad to see the prices you've posted. I was thinking $500 was the right number. I didn't discuss price with my customer beforehand. He is a longstanding customer and we have a good working relationship and have never had a problem.
Thanks again I am really enjoying this site and getting instant feedback to issues I mull over for hours.