• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl lettering on soft side trailer

Billct2

I have a client buying one of these (see pic)
Looks like they digital print the whole thing, but my client wants us to do the same vinyl lettering we do on their hard side trailers.
Years ago I did some that rolled up but these are whole different thing.
Anyone ever dealt with one of these? Were you able to letter with vinyl?
Thanks

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 416

S'N'S

I have used Banner vinyl on trailer curtains or did you want to know if there is a printable vinyl.

SignosaurusRex

RUN... don't walk. I get the same request on a regular basis. I won't touch them unless I can letter them by hand with ink designed for the material and the customer is willing to pay the price.

cut vinyl...
Vinyl Adhesion is nearly zero...
Longevity of vinyl is zero...
Customer satisfaction is zero...

Billct2

That's what I'm afraid of, and if it requires hand painting with vinyl ink, I don't need the headache (literally). I'm getting a sample of the material to test.

SignosaurusRex

That's what I'm afraid of, and if it requires hand painting with vinyl ink, I don't need the headache (literally). I'm getting a sample of the material to test.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt ...and video, burned them both, ain't gonna wear it or watch it again! ;)

printhog

@signosaurusrex is right, skip it... Theres so much plasticizer in a flex curtain - it'll never take vinyls. Hand lettered with a hot solvent vinyl ink would be workable, but ick. there are printable materials from Cooley that are specific to that industry, but then you need the fabrication etc.. sometimes we just have to tell a client its better go elsewhere.

But explain it like this - the curtain material has chemicals in it that keep it soft and flexible in cold weather.. (theyre called plasticizers and every sign person should learn about what they do)... that chemical constantly leaches to the surface and that makes it difficult for vinyl letters to stick. the only way to make a permanent graphic is to print it on a special material and fabricate the curtain out of that piece. So none of your local sign shops will have that.. and your client likely wont go elsewhere if you explain this to them... so you dont risk losing the client by passing on the job.. educate your client and theyll respect you for the honesty.

S'N'S

There maybe vinyl available Vivad - Banner Vinyls ... Applications: Mehler is a heavy duty banner vinyl used when a lot of strength is required. Most commonly used for truck curtains, although, it can also be used in other applications such as heavy duty banners and hanging banners as it has very little curl. It is UV stabilized and fire retardant. Mehler can also be 2 part clear coated for extra protection and longevity, as you will see in the next sample.

Or if its a simple design, can you make a stencil and paint with tautflex tautflex