• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking to drywall

juan45215

We are trying to apply cut vinyl to a painted wall. The vinyl is not sticking enough to pull off the application tape. IS there a super stick vinyl or s chemical you can apply to the wall to solve this problem?

Juan

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Arlon DPF8000 print vinyl sticks quite well. If you're going for anything other than white, though- it won't work unless you print it (and you get any color you want). Print/cut/apply/done.

As for cut vinyl- in my experience, problems with vinyl sticking to drywall usually boils down to the paint on the wall- and contractor grade paints that have an matte/eggshell/whatever finish are the worst.
Think about the things cut vinyl is (normally) applied to:
Vehicles
Composite panels
Painted signs
Coroplast
Etc.
What do they have in common? A good, smooth paint job. The vinyl has something to "grab" and adhere to.
Rapid Tac will help the tape release the vinyl, and you can try a heat gun on your lettering, but I'm not sure how much good it will do in the long run.
It's not unheard of to have to have a customer to repaint the wall.
My .02.

knucklehead

Some of the new paints have teflon, or silicon in them, for easy cleaning. Also means nothing else will stick either. Only thing I've found to work halfa$$, is to take a scotchbrite pad, and scuff the area. Then it's 50/50.

visual800

happens a good bit when we try and stick to eggshell sometimes you have to "baby" it when taking tape off. what paint is it? flat, egg, satin?

Gene@mpls

Someone on this forum (I think? Never totally sure of anything anymore) posted a 3M directive on this problem- do a pull test, wash 2-3 times with IPA and try
again. Gene

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Someone on this forum (I think? Never totally sure of anything anymore) posted a 3M directive on this problem- do a pull test, wash 2-3 times with IPA and try
again. Gene

Yeah, that's for installing on Low-VOC paint.