• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl not sticking to weather strip

klingsdesigns

Not sure it is even possible but the vinyl is not sticking to the weather stripping on the door. Is there a way to get it to stick? Even a glue? When installed we told customer it wouldn't last, especially through the winter. We used 180mc.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 331

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes 3m primer will help. we always try to avoid sticking to rubber and will never stick to silicon based sealants.
but metals are fine, might add a bit of cleaning and fiberglass normally gets a clean and buffing if its oxydized

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
If you really want to go cheap, and potentially attempt to save the metallic vinyl... could slap some paint protection film over the vinyl around the edge of the top door. Depending on whats behind it.

Only attempt if you don't care what anyone thinks about you.

unclebun

When you say "weatherstrip" do you mean the aluminum doorframe? There's no reason why the vinyl shouldn't stick to that; we never have problems with adhesion on that. Did you cut the vinyl at the edge of the aluminum frame or stretch it down to the white aluminum panel? If you didn't cut it, that's where your failure started. You can try all the glue or clear vinyl you want, but once it's let go, it's coming off....it's just a matter of time.

Dan360

We used 180 on some weather stripping on a truck, primed and edge sealed. Been on for 3 years and still looks good.

Not sure what to do once it's already failing though.

klingsdesigns

When you say "weatherstrip" do you mean the aluminum doorframe? There's no reason why the vinyl shouldn't stick to that; we never have problems with adhesion on that. Did you cut the vinyl at the edge of the aluminum frame or stretch it down to the white aluminum panel? If you didn't cut it, that's where your failure started. You can try all the glue or clear vinyl you want, but once it's let go, it's coming off....it's just a matter of time.
Its rubber weather stripping. We cut a seam where weather stripping meets the door.

I was told (from an Oracal wrap class I believe) to not wrap any rubber because most synthetic rubbers are petroleum based which degrades the adhesive and will quickly fail.

Sign Works

Why would anyone try to stick vinyl to the rubber weather stripping?
Door panels & aluminum frame fine but never the rubber weather strip. (it's such a slight void it will never be noticed anyway)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do you just apply it where the vinyl will be sticking or ? Thanks
Yes, you paint it on with a small brush or one of your printer cleaning swabs. Let it set up and then install over it.
If you are going to try to put it under failing film you need to pull the vinyl back away from the area and just apply it to the surface and not the film. I had some lifting in one of the deep channels on the side of a van and loaded up a syringe with the 94. Pumped a little into the void. It softened up the material on contact (180c with lam) and ending up burning right though. Looked worse than before I 'repaired' it.

wayne k
guam usa

jfiscus

Rap Master
Remove the vinyl and stick it to some scrap backing paper for now. Get some 3M Primer 94 and brush it on there, let it dry. Now, reinstall your graphic carefully and post-heat it for extra grip. Use some 3M edge sealer also if the edges still aren't happy.

Or, get a (sample) roll of Arlon DPF8000 and print that little strip on it and apply it to the rubber gasket. That stuff will stick to it or anything else.

Tell the customer that there is no guarantee on that strip (no matter what vinyl you use) and when you have a chance go ahead and run a little replacement patch for if/when it does fall off.
When it falls off, have him bring it in and put the patch on the same way again.