• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl on Brushed Aluminum?

Sero

Hello.

I have a customer that has a brushed aluminum plate ( 100''x40'' ) and wants to stick some words on it.
I was thinking of doing lettering but I'm not sure if vinyl would stick properly on the brushed aluminum, but I thought maybe if I do a vinyl with a clear background the size of his plate, it would have more surface to stick to, and that way it would last longer.
Does that make sense or am I completely wrong?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have done brushed ACM with black cut vinyl. It worked much better than I thought it would when I was asked to do it. It was smaller than the one your doing though. Is yours going outside? I'm not sure if that would matter - ours was interior. Post heat it, and use a roller to get it on good and in the grooves.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The vinyl should stick just fine, unless there is some kind of coating on the metal. Be sure to clean it first.

Sero

We have done brushed ACM with black cut vinyl. It worked much better than I thought it would when I was asked to do it. It was smaller than the one your doing though. Is yours going outside? I'm not sure if that would matter - ours was interior. Post heat it, and use a roller to get it on good and in the grooves.
Thank you for your help, yes it is outside. The customer said that he'll do the installation but I'll be sure to let him know how to.

If you wanna be on the safe side use high tack vinyl, but since regular vinyl stick to paint on the wall it should be safe to use on brushed aluminum as well. You can also use a heatgun and this roller to maximise surface contact.

Sero

If you wanna be on the safe side use high tack vinyl, but since regular vinyl stick to paint on the wall it should be safe to use on brushed aluminum as well. You can also use a heatgun and this roller to maximise surface contact.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you for the help.

brdesign

Hello.

I have a customer that has a brushed aluminum plate ( 100''x40'' ) and wants to stick some words on it.
I was thinking of doing lettering but I'm not sure if vinyl would stick properly on the brushed aluminum, but I thought maybe if I do a vinyl with a clear background the size of his plate, it would have more surface to stick to, and that way it would last longer.
Does that make sense or am I completely wrong?
Unless it has some kind of anti-stick coating applied to it vinyl will be fine. I prefer to use cast vinyl and then heat and rolliepro, or rivet brush, to conform to the texture of the brushed aluminum it will look more like it was painted on.

Sero

Unless it has some kind of anti-stick coating applied to it vinyl will be fine. I prefer to use cast vinyl and then heat and rolliepro, or rivet brush, to conform to the texture of the brushed aluminum it will look more like it was painted on.
Thank you for your help, I'll keep this in mind.