• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl print "faded" to black? What happened?

IconSigns

Hi all,

We installed this sign about three and a half years ago, and the guy who handled the sale and put it together is unfortunately no longer with us so we can't ask questions, but according to our records, it's a foam building sign with an aluminum face and then a vinyl print over the circle part to make it look like a globe.

Yesterday, the customer contacted us asking to replace the print as it had become "faded". We asked them to send a photo over so we can have a look at it and then get on the process of getting a new print. We expected to see the colors of the globe faded lighter, however when we received the picture, the vinyl print is completely black?

I've attached one picture showing what it looked like freshly installed, and then a second which the customer sent us yesterday. Does anyone have any explanation as to why the print would turn black like this? We're completely baffled.

IMG_0365.JPG

faded.JPG

letterman7

Cheap laminate would be one cause, cooking the adhesive layer and turning it black. The cracking through the print are a good clue.

Chasez

Cheap media/laminate used for the print as well... If the laminate doesn't have UV inhibitors the sun just destroys prints.

Chaz

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks exactly like dye-based inks were used. Also, shrinkage is taking place along the edge and all the cracking.

IconSigns

While I can't guarantee 100%, the materials we should have been using were Orajet 3651 Gloss vinyl with Oraguard 210 Semi Gloss laminate, and were printed on an old solvent Mimaki JV3 printer. We don't have that printer anymore, but continue to use those vinyls. We haven't seen this problem with any other jobs we've done under those conditions however.

IconSigns

Update: I found out the inks we used for the Mimaki printer and they were Triangle brand JVS inks, made to work with the JV3 Mimaki. I'm not sure if they're dye-based, however.

Your problem is with Oracal 210 laminate. It is only rated at 4 years and when laminates fail, they turn black. We used to use a lot of 210 but have switched almost exclusively to 290 so it's easier to stand behind our products. One other thing is make sure you match vinyl and laminate. For example, if you use 290 which is cast, make sure you pair it with a cast vinyl as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk