• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl removal...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Using the DeWalt Power Station to power this McCullough steamer. Works great for removing vinyl. Portable, no on-site electrical needed, no chance of scraping the glass from using a scraper and removes all adhesive residue.

20180127_223842.jpg

a77

Nice,
Looks like that wallpaper steamer attachment works well.
But... A bit of elbow grease, grease remover and a scraper would make short of that job and get all the letters off way quicker?
Have not damaged glass with a window scraper yet.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
a77

How much glass have you scraped? Only asking because your profile indicates "noob" and "no experience".

There are methods and materials to use to minimize the chances of scratching glass but if you're using a scraper, the point is there's still a chance.

The chances of scratching it with this steamer are zero. And there's no adhesive left so there's no elbow grease needed. I think that's worth the trade off in any time saved.

Also, this setup isn't just for vinyl lettering, it's for full coverage privacy vinyl on windows for high-end clients....where if you scrape a window, you're paying for it.

Johnny Best

That would be a great tool for removing etch on glass.
But, I have removed tons of vinyl letters on glass with a razor blade and spray glass cleaner (Sprayway) on and remove glue residue. Takes the time it would take you unloading that equipment from your van and setting up. I don't remember ever scratching the glass in the 30 plus years of removing vinyl copy. I think the only time you will scratch glass is turning the razor blade at an angle and getting the edge of the blade gouging it.
Thanks for sharing your method and I have no problem with you doing it that way. It's none of my business how you run your business.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Pretty neat.. But ya I agree, I've never scratched glass and could blow through those letters pretty quickly. Seem tedious the way the video shows.

I will say I like the steamer when doing non-glass stuff. I'm removing a wrap from a sprinter van tomorrow and will be bringing my steamer!

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Triumph 6" scraper is the fastest easiest way to remove those letters. 6" Triumph Soft Grip Scraper

A window guy once told me that you scratch the glass when you pull the scraper in reverse not pushing it forward. What you end up doing is dragging dirt or sand across the glass. Also do not use any high carbon steel blades, use stainless steel.

a77

a77

How much glass have you scraped? Only asking because your profile indicates "noob" and "no experience".

There are methods and materials to use to minimize the chances of scratching glass but if you're using a scraper, the point is there's still a chance.

The chances of scratching it with this steamer are zero. And there's no adhesive left so there's no elbow grease needed. I think that's worth the trade off in any time saved.

Also, this setup isn't just for vinyl lettering, it's for full coverage privacy vinyl on windows for high-end clients....where if you scrape a window, you're paying for it.

Hi Moze,
Lots of windows. Always read your posts, you have great installation info.
I just can't see doing this on flat glass, don't take it the wrong way. With more than 3 lines of copy, I would have already put the new vinyl up and would be getting in the truck, while you're still peeling the 3rd line.
With a 4" scraper and fluid, at the right angle and pressure, this is all gone with 4-5 strokes.

Anyways, nice battery and steamer setup. Probably works great on vehicles and when the glass is not flat.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I typically use a 4" scraper with stainless steel blades and water with a heavy concentration of dish soap when removing letters. The intent of this setup isn't to remove small amounts of letters. I received the Power Station the night before this removal and was eager to test it out. I was simply showing how easily it loosens the vinyl.

I bought the Power Station and this particular steamer primarily for removing large pieces of vinyl where there isn't electricity available, where a scraper shouldn't be used (acrylic/polycarbonate faces), where a generator can't be used for the larger steamer (below), etc.

When removing entire conference rooms of privacy vinyl, large vinyl graphics, etc., I use the setup shown in the video. The generator is obviously only used outdoors.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You have a lotta neat tools and gadgets. I can see them being useful in many ways, other than just the intended uses. However, sometimes, it's easier just to use what ya have and just get the job done. Been doing this stuff for a long time and when it was paint, razor blades took everything off quite nicely. Once everything changed over to vinyl, it still seems razor blades work the best. The new and improved methods are fine, if you wanna invest. By the way, I've never heard of scratching glass with a razor blade.

I've taken many acrylic or poly signs vinyl off, out in the field with razors blades. Really, nothing to it. Going up in the air with all that stuff, seems like it might be a little cumbersome compared to my razor blade. Not to mention, the truck has a generator on it with 2 outlets up in the bucket, not to mention we have 2 portable generators and a portable air compressor.

I always like your movies on the installation trips or refurbishings. :thumb:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You have a lotta neat tools and gadgets. I can see them being useful in many ways, other than just the intended uses. However, sometimes, it's easier just to use what ya have and just get the job done. Been doing this stuff for a long time and when it was paint, razor blades took everything off quite nicely. Once everything changed over to vinyl, it still seems razor blades work the best. The new and improved methods are fine, if you wanna invest. By the way, I've never heard of scratching glass with a razor blade.

I've taken many acrylic or poly signs vinyl off, out in the field with razors blades. Really, nothing to it. Going up in the air with all that stuff, seems like it might be a little cumbersome compared to my razor blade. Not to mention, the truck has a generator on it with 2 outlets up in the bucket, not to mention we have 2 portable generators and a portable air compressor.

I always like your movies on the installation trips or refurbishings. :thumb:

Thanks, Gino.

Yep, when it's easier to use a scraper, I'll use a scraper. When it's easier to steam it off, I'll use a steamer.

Scratching glass with a razor blade is pretty easy and I see a ton of glass every week that is scratched from someone that scraped off vinyl in the past.

The day I removed the Wing Stop vinyl it was about 40°. Using a blade would have left residue all over. It took all of two minutes to remove the vinyl and it didn't leave any residue.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
And I must say, if I paid for installation, I'd much rather see all the fancy tools than a razor blade.

"All the bells and whistles" is always a selling point.

a77

And I must say, if I paid for installation, I'd much rather see all the fancy tools than a razor blade.

"All the bells and whistles" is always a selling point.

When you pay the remover/installer big bucks, you want to see him painstakingly remove letters slowly... yep.
That's why when I'm leaving site the customer is saying... "What? You're done already? That's all the time it took?"

Moze is a pro no doubt, and I like his videos tips. And I now know that I need to get a similar steamer with wallpaper removal attachment. Looks awesome and seems to work great.

DerbyCitySignGuy

When you pay the remover/installer big bucks, you want to see him painstakingly remove letters slowly... yep.
That's why when I'm leaving site the customer is saying... "What? You're done already? That's all the time it took?"

Moze is a pro no doubt, and I like his videos tips. And I now know that I need to get a similar steamer with wallpaper removal attachment. Looks awesome and seems to work great.

I think his point is that it's better to look prepared for anything than to show up with just a scraper and a spray bottle, even if that's all you need to do the job.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Get the steamer. My guy removed a wrap from a Transit today in about 4 hours by himself. It started out in the 20s and went up to 50s and found the steamer works good when it's cold outside.

v4NsndM-kDm0nmpDYHrJV3NShslQGBVVFCyCGle0weMbQ_R1TKk0Ou2w-wEA_2aU5BBkhrufWCRP-sfUSljAvijlQdlQifUvHLkc-DQCzUE4FTM2cGMdIY2FgbIzqDKEZmfxRP_HAfA=w895-h669-no

decalman

I could have got that off the window in one minute, using my razor blade on a pole trick. Sometimes in combination with a heat gun, and my speacial potions.
I'm still interested in steamers, but I need a lot more power than this thing.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
decalman did you read any of the thread?

The first video wasn't to demonstrate how quickly it could remove vinyl letters.

The second video I posted shows a steamer with some more umph.