• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl Tenting Issue

deadman

I am using the HP 9000S

The media is 3M IJ11

The media is tenting badly on the printer. I have tried lower heat, and higher heat. I keep getting head strikes, and I want to get the hammer out.

:frustrated:

Our humidity is in the mid 20's, and temp is in the mid 60's. This is pretty normal here this time of year.

It ran fine Friday, and I don't understand why I am now having an issue. Any Ideas?

Attachments

• tenting edit.jpg
    tenting edit.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 138

deadman

It also appears that the tenting may be coming from the feed side. Coming off the roll of media, it has a rippled look to it.

J Hill Designs

try pre-rolling the vinyl out before it gets 'tugged' by the printer? Also, I have more tenting occur near the end of the rolls - sometimes I cant even print on the last 15 feet or so it gets so bad...

deadman

That didn't work.

I am aboit 1/3 of the way into the roll. I made it about 18" before it tented up enough to cause a light head strike.

My distributor told me to lower the front heat.

I am at 18c front, 20c mid, and 25c rear.

Any more ideas?

ucmj22

That didn't work.

I am aboit 1/3 of the way into the roll. I made it about 18" before it tented up enough to cause a light head strike.

My distributor told me to lower the front heat.

I am at 18c front, 20c mid, and 25c rear.

Any more ideas?

is your "rear" the preheater, if so, it looks like your temps are reversed. should be 18 rear, 20 mid, and 25 front

deadman

according to the manual, the front of the machine is the side with the controls, and the vinyl goes in. so the pre heat is on the front of the printer

J Hill Designs

I run my temps for vinyl at 40/45/40 (pre/print/post) - those seem incredibly low... I run an ancient OCE CS6060, which I believe is the same machine as the HP9000

deadman

thats my opinion, that is super low....just going through the motions of trying things, heck, now its at 15-20-25

deadman

jkdbjj,

the tension has 2 settings. it is on the tightest. when i loosen it, it makes other issues arise.

funny...i put in a fresh roll, and it prints fine. i shut down, go to lunch, come back and BLAMO! looks like a tent city

ucmj22

Do you have an infrared thermometer? I would check the pre-heater to make sure it is actually what it is set at.

deadman

thats a great thought, we dont have one, but i think we need one

thanks everyone for trying to help...technology is great until it surpasses my ability to use it