• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vinyl To Sand Blast

Kenjiharv

we have a sandblasting and powder coating business and we have gotten in to custom stainless tumblers both powder coated and blasted. i have paint mask that i use for the powder coated ones, and blast mask is sooooo over kill for cups and glass ware. i have used some regular vinyl like 2.5mil but that can be blasted thru pretty easy. was wondering if anyone could suggest a thicker vinyl to be used for stencils on glassware or stainless tumblers that is easier to work with that the super thick blast mask.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I haven't done any sandblasting in years, but I can't remember ever coming across a vinyl that would hold up to it. Look into some of the thinner rubber masks, maybe- they'd be less expensive. But you get what you pay for.

d fleming

I blast granite tiles for our local Am Legion Hall. I use cheap old vinyl from stock and double it. Have to adjust blade and force on cutter to accommodate but it works well for shallow blasting. More like etching really. If doing thin glass, a single layer of vinyl and etching cream works well.

Signchief

I have a customer that regularly uses Oracal 651 for blasting on glass and he says it works great, I wonder if it might have something to do with the blasting media he uses but he does super intricate designs with no problems.

d fleming

Media type and grit are very important. Also pressure. Glass I would imagine one ply of calendared is fine, stone takes a little longer and more aggressive plan.

Cynosure

Like Signchief said, i used to supply oracal 651 to a guy who blasted on glass all the time. He said it worked well and came off clean.

7oaks

You can either use paint mask or orcal 651 as stated above. Use 20 psi to frost an image on a tumber unless you're really going for
depth.

Ken