• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Virus protection what u using

anthony smith

Had to get a new IT guy ours of 10 years landed big job
with direct tv
Time to re do virus put Mcafee on one ran for a week or so
no problems
Put on the remaining 8 and network gone crazy
IT guy going nuts can t seem to figure out
any suggestions not common
we turned off firewalls changed trust levels
short of dumping Mcafee
All systems show in mcafee and on network
but when you go to access it error message you dont have
permission
Anybody else experience something like this

binki

We use NOD32 from ESET but I am considering changing to MSSE. We dumped Norton quite a while back when it screwed up our computers on install and then dumped McAfee because it was really bloated and expensive.

choucove

Unfortunately McAfee is one of the poorer virus programs from what I have heard and personally experienced. It tends to cause a lot of issues with other applications on the computer, tends to "latch on" to the operating system making it difficult to remove, update, change, etc. and also is not very great at catching and removing viruses.

Binki mentioned using ESET Nod32, which is a very good virus program. I've had experience using this anti-virus at our local college, where they use the enterprise version which can run off a dedicated server and push updates and scans down to individual workstations, depending upon the size of your network.

For smaller situations where there are less than a dozen computers, I usually go with Avast! Anti-Virus. I've been using it for six years now, and it's been rated one of the best out there. It catches a lot more than I've seen McAfee catch for viruses, and is rather highly customizable as well (though not as flexible or customizable as ESET Nod32 enterprise edition.) However, I fear that Avast! may be heading more in the footsteps of AVG, which I also previously used, but has become so heavily advertising-ridden to get you to purchase the absolute top-line version which in 99.99% of situations is absolutely pointless. The only difference between the paid version and the free version of Avast, though, is a virtual sandbox for running and detecting unknown virus signatures. This isn't really a critical difference, so I don't really use the paid version all that much for residential customers.

laserman70

kaspersky for us..
Does not bog down our systems and have not had one virus in 7 years using it.
Knock on wood fast lol

binki

I will add we also use spybot search and destroy and a few other one-off tools that target specific nasty stuff.

We are able to get ourselves out of trouble faster than we got into it with our 'suite' of tools.

AUTO-FX

Microsoft Sec. Ess.
To many issues with AVG over the last 6 mo.

Yeah, me too. But I wonder how good is MSE ?
I like it because there doesnt seem to be any issues or conflicts with the OS, but I'm not going to like it if it turns out to be weak and I am compromised.

jzorn

Mcfee on my Windows 7 laptop. AVG paid on some of my others, with AVG free on one other one only used 1 day per week (all XP pro).