• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ 1204 -- yellow printing more than yellow?

meltsner

Does anyone know why my 1204 prints magenta and cyan as well as yellow in a fill that's supposed to be all yellow?? I'm trying to match an off white, and in doing some test fills, I designed several fills, some of which I assigned 3 - 15% yellow fills, no C, M, or K. I'm using Flexi Pro 8.5, assigning the fills right into the editor.

Notice the images below, about the best I can explain. This fill is assigned 0C0M8Y0K. But it has several specks of magenta, and even more of cyan. Thus giving a green look, which I CAN'T have. Second pic is really poor, but might help explain a bit.

Any thoughts on this? I really don't know too much about the printers (too obvious?? :) ), maybe I'm missing something really simple.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• upclose.jpg
    upclose.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 171
  • notupclose.jpg
    notupclose.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 171

meltsner

Very much so :wink:

I simply filled several small boxes with various process fills. Thanks for the tip, I haven't gone that far yet (honestly I'm not sure what it's set at right now). I do have the settings set for the particular vinyl it's printing on. I'll give that a try.

meltsner

have you found a solution to this?

8 years later I can't remember what I was even printing then :D But I think now the same may be true as for printing *pure* black. I use Flexi, so under Color Settings, under Rendering Intent, choose "pure hue" for the appropriate color. I haven't tested on yellow and can't remember what I even did :) but it may work the same for yellow. I would have replied sooner but I didn't get email notifications for this again for some reason, until I now looked.......

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When using color correction the RIP interprets your CMYK values and applies a correction based on multiple factors. So if you send 100% yellow and 0% everything else, the RIP will actually add a little bit of the other colors back into it which is why you can see the little specs of cyan and magenta in there. This sounds counter intuitive but if a profile is calibrated correctly, those little specs of color actually help make it look better on certain materials. Most people however are using boxed profiles so they aren't optimized for their environment and vinyl which can make these extra color dots more annoying than anything.

Look at the tabs to the right of the color correction tab in Flexi and one will be called color replacement. You can go into that tab and select your yellow from the image with the eye dropper and actually see how the RIP is interpreting it. In this same area you can override the RIP and input your own CMYK values. In this case you would input 100% yellow and 0% everything else and it will print pure yellow. You can also just do 80% yellow and it will have the same effect except lighter.

meltsner

Look at the tabs to the right of the color correction tab in Flexi and one will be called color replacement. You can go into that tab and select your yellow from the image with the eye dropper and actually see how the RIP is interpreting it. In this same area you can override the RIP and input your own CMYK values. In this case you would input 100% yellow and 0% everything else and it will print pure yellow. You can also just do 80% yellow and it will have the same effect except lighter.
That is amazing, I've never seen that before until now. Thank you!!!! I'll assume the tolerance slider on the output will allow for slight variations. I'll give this a try.