• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VJ1604 maintenance station

bsm

I think 80% of all printing issues with these machines can be traced back to the maintenance station, or just the capping unit and wiper. I have been using an old VJ1604 for about 4 years now and it still has a head unit in it that was 4 years old when I bought the machine. Apart from a few other minor issues and replacing a couple of dampers, every problem I have ever had with printing issues has come back to the maintenance station or blocked drain lines.
My Mutoh is capable of printing flawless prints if looked after.

So here is my two bobs worth for an older Mutoh.

1. Run cleaning fluid through the capping station twice a week and manually remove blockages because most banding issues (on my machine) have been caused by clogged drain lines.
2. Clean the wiper and its surrounds along with capping unit once a week.
3. Keep a spare maintenance station on hand.
4. Replace the wiper at least 4 times a year.
5. Keep the whole area around the head clean as this will prolong the wiper life.

All done.

heyskull

That's exactly what I do.
Except I would add, Replace the complete maintenance station every one to two years.

SC

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Good post. To add, the Vj1604 had a design flaw that allowed the ink to dry in the waste tubes much more frequently. A fix I have found for this is to cut a slit in the large drain tube (on top of the tube) and put the waste tubes into the slit so that the tubes are always pointing down rather than looping back up against gravity. You want the tubes to drain almost completely to the waste tank every time. This cuts down on clogs extremely well. Just seal the area around the waste tubes and the slit and you are done.

New to Printing

Good post. To add, the Vj1604 had a design flaw that allowed the ink to dry in the waste tubes much more frequently. A fix I have found for this is to cut a slit in the large drain tube (on top of the tube) and put the waste tubes into the slit so that the tubes are always pointing down rather than looping back up against gravity. You want the tubes to drain almost completely to the waste tank every time. This cuts down on clogs extremely well. Just seal the area around the waste tubes and the slit and you are done.
Do you have a photo of this??

Jimmydoo

Jimmydoo
I have 2x 1604 printers that my computer guy broke. Not sure what he did I haven't seen him since he stuffed them both. The end result of his efforts are that the printers are receiving info and going through the motions of printing without actually dropping any ink: Help!