• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP-540 With Many Problem, Can anyone help?? Please :)

Biggermens

Hello everyone

Here i have a VP-540 with all kinds of problems, First Problem it was not printing anything so i took it apart flush all the line and the heads got ink flowing and still nothing at all, With a bit of reading and thanks to the people on this forum, i find out that F1 and F2 fuses are blown, i put new fuses in and F2 blows again :( I read that the heads can short out, i unplugged all the heads, and F2 blows again, Then i unplugged the ribbon cables from the main board that go to the print carriage board, F2 Blows again, there must be a short somewhere, And now from all the testing i get a Too Cold 0o error, :( When it was kinda working i tried to print something hoping the Yellow and Magenta would work, but it did not :( I also tried to get into the service mode and it is locked out :(

Anyone have any ideas ??

Thanks
Biggs:)

Update: I got the temperature problem fixed, i had 2 of the heads disconnected, i plug them back in and the error was gone :)

Last edited:

graphicsphere

I have the same problem too with a Roland SP-540v Printer. The service technician thinks it's the print carriage board that has a short and the ribbon cables from the heads to the print carriage board and to the main board. I tried swapping heads around and the problem of no colors printing seems to stay on the same side when doing a test print so I ruled out that it is the print heads. So I'm wondering if it's the Print Carriage Board because if there is a bad connection there it will blow the fuse. The service technician also said once you rule out the ribbon cables and print carriage board and you still have the same problem you will then need to either replace a main board transistor that is for the color missing or replace the whole main board if it's not a transistor.

Biggermens

I think i am doing good progress, I tested the transistors and 4 seam to be off ( Black and Cyan heads ) but i have to take them out to make sure.
I buddy borrowed me a head that he said is good just plunged up a bit, just tried it and blow the fuse on Yellow and magenta. :(
The Print head cables i find they are fragile i busted a couple, the pins on the end comes off and bend.

Do you have no colors at all ??
Did you change all the Head ranks when you moved the heads around ??

Hey Biggermens,

In your first post above, you indicated having "...unplugged the ribbon cables from the main board that go to the print carriage board, [and] F2 Blows again...". So, you've isolated the main board to itself and still the fuse blows. Therefore (as graphicsphere posted above), "...you will then need to either replace a main board transistor that is for the color missing or replace the whole main board if it's not a transistor". We agree the problem is isolated to the main board and we officially recommend contacting your Roland dealer to discuss options. They will take care of you.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Biggermens

Hey Biggermens,

In your first post above, you indicated having "...unplugged the ribbon cables from the main board that go to the print carriage board, [and] F2 Blows again...". So, you've isolated the main board to itself and still the fuse blows. Therefore (as graphicsphere posted above), "...you will then need to either replace a main board transistor that is for the color missing or replace the whole main board if it's not a transistor". We agree the problem is isolated to the main board and we officially recommend contacting your Roland dealer to discuss options. They will take care of you.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

Hello rn

Thanks for the suggestions and feed back, unfortunately the Roland dealer around here are not that good and what they charge is insane i may as well bring the machine to the dump.
F1 and F2 are now blowing when i turn it on, I will change the transistor.
I will remove and test the transistor, say if i have one good 2SA1746 and one good 2SC4131, i will used them to run Yellow, would it be ok if i run the main board with the remaining 6 transistors missing ???

Thanks
Biggs

Biggermens

Hello everyone

I think i did some pretty good progress over the weekend :)
I pulled out the 8 transistor and tested them all and found 2 shorted ones, so i installed back the yellow ones and magenta ones, and left the Black and Cyan Transistors out and also new fuses in F1 and F2

Tested it out and the F1 Fuse Blow :( after the process of elimination i found that the yellow head was shorted out, so i used the magenta head for testing, all i had plugged was magenta head using the yellow connectors and the first cable of the black head for the head temperature, and it worked,

My next step is to get some new transistors install them hope the fuse don't blow, and test each color one at a time with the magenta head since it looks like its the only head that i have working

Thanks
Biggs

davyde

Ive had this same issue on an XJ640, there was an ink leak into the head connector and it shorted the head board. Took me 6 fuses to work it out. New head board fixed the issue. Ive heard of people changing the transistors and got success but i did t have the time and customer wanted machine up asap.

Make sure all the ribbon cable connectors are clean of ink and there is no trace of ink in print head connectors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luba

Ive had this same issue on an XJ640, there was an ink leak into the head connector and it shorted the head board. Took me 6 fuses to work it out. New head board fixed the issue. Ive heard of people changing the transistors and got success but i did t have the time and customer wanted machine up asap.

Make sure all the ribbon cable connectors are clean of ink and there is no trace of ink in print head connectors too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All,

I'm having the same issue with my SP540i. The initial problem was that the printer suddenly didn't print any colours after printing fine the previous day, next morning, shooting blanks. So I've been reading for the past few days on where the issue might be. I've had this problem before and it was the fuse that was blown and this was the first place I looked at, changed about 6 of them and they are all blowing as soon as the machine is switched on. Long story short, I have since disconnected the heads, and the cables from the print carriage board, also disconnected the 2 cables that connect the carriage board and the main board. Again fuse blown on start up. So the issue is on the mainboard, I then tested the 4 transistors and 3 are reading 41.5 on the multi meter and 1 of the C4131 is reading 0.07. I don't want to jump in and order a new board or head for that matter as those parts are quite expensive, but want to start by having someone replace the transistor and work it backwards. You mention that changing the head circuit board fixed your issue and I suspect this could have been the primary cause, does this come as a stand alone or do I have to buy the new head altogether. I'm also suspecting the head cables as some of them had spilled ink which could have happened last week when I was replacing the cap tops.