• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 Not Finding Crop Marks For Contour Cutting

ScottB

Gurus,

I printed 100 stickers on Orajet 3165GRA (glossy) with GCVP (High Quality) with alignment marks so the stickers would out gas before being getting their outline cut and I'm getting "Cropmark Error Not Found" message.

I've reloaded the media numerous times, as suggested in the owner's manual. Every time the cut head travels from the control panel to the far end 3 times, stops, and flashes the error.

So, I've placed frosted tape (Scotch Tape) over the marks as suggested on the Roland forum. No luck.

I've manually aligned the panel numerous times, only to have the printer attempt to perform the automatic alignment, thereby removing my manual alignment attempt, and cause the error.

I've even removed the "crop mark" option from the print job in VersaWorks, perform a manual alignment, and got the error.

I've wiped the lens with a dry cleaning swab, no luck.

So I need to figure out what's wrong with the printer, and/or figure out what I'm doing wrong...

As always, any and all advice is always appreciated!

Thanks!

bigblocktrader

TRY READING MY PRINT CUT ADJUSTMENT NOT RESPONDING , about 5 down in forum ,read all the way through , may or may not help

ScottB

Hmmmmm..

I forgot to mention that everything works fine if I Print AND Cut...

So is the cable to crop sensor separate from the cut head cable? I'd like to know before I start removing panels.

Ragnabrok

cut carriage cable carries the cut solenoid power, crop mark sensor and pinch roller sensor power. if it fails any of the 3 can stop working. It's probably the cut carriage cable, but may be the crop mark board itself, or just needs an adjustment. The adjustment is in the service menu->crop cut adj->outlevel check. outlevel check should read 2.5V +/- 0.2.

ScottB

After figuring out the Roland Secret Handshake to enter the Service Mode, I performed the Cropmark Sense OutLevel check and came up with 3.7 as the max voltage. So it looks like I need to adjust the Crop Mark sensor...
A positive voltage is better than 0 voltage which would probably indicate a bad cable or board! Right?

CarNate69

I doubt adjusting it will help if it's worked in the past on the same material, the cut carriage cable moves back and forth with the head and is basically a wear part on rolands after a couple of years of use. When ours went out, it was almost like the sensor was totally blind to the crop mark so we knew it was either the board, or the cable, started with the cable, that fixed it.

bigblocktrader

After figuring out the Roland Secret Handshake to enter the Service Mode, I performed the Cropmark Sense OutLevel check and came up with 3.7 as the max voltage. So it looks like I need to adjust the Crop Mark sensor...
A positive voltage is better than 0 voltage which would probably indicate a bad cable or board! Right?

make the adjustment 1.9 low 2.6 high then follow through my previous post in service mode , you cant just change cable with out diagnostic.its just a screw adjustment for voltage
just trying to help did this two days ago,with Ragnabrok help he's a rocket scientist

ScottB

I"ve made the voltage adjustment, numerous times since the value changes as the ink dries. I'm right at 2.6/2.7 as the first reading. So I load a single example, print, and let the media dry for a few minutes.

I'll run the run the cut from VersaWorks and the Roland will find the first crop mark and miss the second. Remember the original error message I got? At least I'm consistent!

At this point I'm prepared to guess its a board and cable issue.

Ragnabrok

Almost guaranteed its the cut carriage cable, having it work at some parts and not others. The cable just fatigues and the connection gets iffy at certain bend points.

ScottB

UPDATE:

I've swabbed the sensor with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, ran a crop mark cut test on a single graphic, and still missed the crop marks.

I'll check the voltages again after I run a quick job that doesn't require a Print-dry-cut function, I'll check the voltage again. I'm missing out on NFL Opening night!!!!!!

BSGX

Does it read the first crop mark at all? Sometimes if my crop Mark is to close to the end pinch roller closest to the carriage it will not pick it up. Move the crop Mark a little away from your first registering pinch roller and see if it will pick it up then. I'm sure since you've read the manual you already know that the crop marks(if I'm not mistaken) only have 5 degrees of play that they can be off from the first to the second farthest away. Sometimes I have to reload a few times because I'm in a hurry and don't make sure they are lined up on the cutting strip correctly. Good luck.

ScottB

GOOD NEWS!
After a swabbing of the sensor, an entire afternoon of checking/adjusting voltage levels, and numerous crop mark tests, I've managed to find four crop marks!

I have learned a few things.
1. Let the ink dry for about 10 minutes before adjusting voltage on the board.
2. Verify voltage by re-running the test and let the ink dry for at least 10 minutes. If there's any adjustment, repeat this step until no adjustment is necessary.
3. Be really careful with those little plastic pins. If you drop one inside the printer..... I just won't go there.
4. Use a plastic screwdriver to make the voltage adjustment. A metal shaft can be magnetized and "tweak" the voltage readings. I noticed this every time my screwdriver came close to the potentiometer. Thankfully I had a set of adjusters from my TV/monitor repair days.
5. Entering the Service Mode requires one's fingers to "dance" across the control panel in an organized manner. Guess who doesn't dance?

Remember that when in service mode, the heaters won't dry the ink as they would during normal printing. Personally, I'd let the ink dry for 20 to 30 minutes to ensure a stable voltage reading.

A BIG thanks to everybody who offered insight and advice!
Happy Printing!

M D Gourley

A bit late to this thread but I had a similar issue, but not related to this post.... I was having the last of the four 'Crop Marks' receiving a 'Crop Mark Error Not Found' message...finally worked it out that during the 4 foot print the right 'Media Flange' (one closest to the capping station side) had worked loose in the core and the media roll was being pulled through the printer on a lean which must of caused a distortion of the entire print...LOL...those Media Flanges get tightened well now.

b6hs

Sign
Hello guys, i m having the same issue with the 4th crop mark detection i swabed the sensor but still nothing after about 20 try..
The issue is on both 3 sheets laminated..

b6hs

Sign
GOOD NEWS!
After a swabbing of the sensor, an entire afternoon of checking/adjusting voltage levels, and numerous crop mark tests, I've managed to find four crop marks!

2. Verify voltage by re-running the test and let the ink dry for at least 10 minutes. If there's any adjustment, repeat this step until no adjustment is necessary.
3. Be really careful with those little plastic pins. If you drop one inside the printer..... I just won't go there.
4. Use a plastic screwdriver to make the voltage adjustment. A metal shaft can be magnetized and "tweak" the voltage readings. I noticed this every time my screwdriver came close to the potentiometer. Thankfully I had a set of adjusters from my TV/monitor repair days.
5. Entering the Service Mode requires one's fingers to "dance" across the control panel in an organized manner. Guess who doesn't dance?

Remember that when in service mode, the heaters won't dry the ink as they would during normal printing. Personally, I'd let the ink dry for 20 to 30 minutes to ensure a stable voltage reading.

Happy Printing!
Re-adjusting the voltage immediately at 2.7 to 3 - 10 minutes later at 1.8V
On the service Manual the adjustement seems to be done quickly...
Im folowing your advice i waited 10 minutes then adjust to 2.7 after 10 minutes (immediately 3.5v) i hope it works

• Agree
Reactions: meb

meb

Re-adjusting the voltage immediately at 2.7 to 3 - 10 minutes later at 1.8V
On the service Manual the adjustement seems to be done quickly...
Im folowing your advice i waited 10 minutes then adjust to 2.7 after 10 minutes (immediately 3.5v) i hope it works
Great info! Waiting 10 minutes before adjusting voltage made the difference for me as well!
Thankful for this thread!!!!

Techy Ant

GOOD NEWS!

Happy Printing!
Thanks for this tip! I was pulling my hair about this adjustment for half a day. Cleaned the entire machine, heads, sensors, everything. Still refused to register the registration marks. Then in desperation searched for a solution that led me to this thread. Took a deep breath, loaded standard white vinyl, did the 10-minute wait after print - during which the voltage dropped from 2.7v to a whopping 1.2v. Did the adjustment to 2.5v and it worked right away, like new. I'm just slightly mad at Roland for not including this in their service manual. To be fair, they say the voltage will change slightly as the ink dries but specifics would have helped.