• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VP540 - third party take up reel

Morph1

Print all
Hey all,

I am just wondering if anyone can recommend a good third party take up reel for vp540, I noticed there is a round plug outlet at the bottom on the right side which I think is for the take up reel.
I was wondering if I get a third party reel will that come with it's own power supply or I just plug it in the printer round outlet and power from there ?
I am familiar with Mimaki and the JV3 printer has as well a single round plug for the take up reel and no additional power source.
any help would be appreciated, please post link to a referenced item if you can.

thank you !

NateF

I have the ReelPro system from Supply55. Paid about $650 IIRC. I've seen other guys with cheap ebay versions that they grabbed on Ebay for under $400, but I think now that Supply55 has licensed them, they're harder to find elsewhere.

We had trouble with the "teeth" on the drive side wearing off where they slide into the 3" core. Once those teeth start to slip in a core, the drive will spin in the core and wear the teeth down to nothing. Once I replaced the drive-side roll holder we've been careful not to ever let it sit there and spin, but it looks like the same problem is still going to happen again eventually. Don't expect it to handle more than 1/2 roll of media - it's just not built for that kind of load. It also won't really let the print go back in for contour cutting if you're running a contour cut without laminating.

It's very rare for us to run an entire roll of media at once, so the Supply55 reel works well for us. If we were running full rolls, though, I would go for the original Roland takeup reel.

Trying to purchase from Supply55 was a bit of a headache. They only sell through dealers, so I had to set up new accounts just to purchase a single product. They also sell some nice sign mounts, but again, they're only sold through dealers. Yet they advertise retail prices on their website. By the time I purchased from a dealer and paid shipping, there was no way I could have re-sold the mounts at retail. But that's a whole different story...

Morph1

Print all
Does anyone know if the take up system from Mimaki Jv3 would work with the Roland VP540 ?