• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help VS-300 network issues tried everything I can think of Help

sidcon

Hello friends, we picked up another used VS printer to do small jobs on but this one is not connecting to versaworks for some reason. I've done a few of these with no issue, this one not the case. Using windows 10. We tried different cables, set both ip addresses (printer 192.168.000.99, computer 192.168.000.100) set subnet mask the same (255.255.255.0). tried different IP sets. Lan on the back of printer has green light solid, orange steady blinking. The lan on printer works with other printers. we have uninstalled versaworks and reinstalled. They don't want to talk to each other and I don't know what I missed or if there are other settings in the computer possibly or driver. Id be grateful for any help on getting this up and running. Thank you

netsol

sorry c5 192.168.0.99 & 192.168.000.99 are exactly the same value (assuming the machine you are working on will accept it.

since sidcon is working on a used machine, we are not sure what the ip is currently set to

you can use something like advanced ip scanner to see what ip (if any) the machine is set to.

keep in mind the network port might be bad (no reason to suspect this yet)

does roland have an application to set ip on this machine?

netsol

this makes it sound easy...
if you set your pc to be in the same subnet as the address displayed in the roland utility (first 9 digits in the ip the same) 192.168.0.xxx you should be able to connect

download advanced ip scanner & see if it can see your machine
you should use a switch, with. 2 cables, not a crossover cable
when you plug network canle in, do you et a light on both ends?

C5 Service&Repair

sorry c5 192.168.0.99 & 192.168.000.99 are exactly the same value (assuming the machine you are working on will accept it.

since sidcon is working on a used machine, we are not sure what the ip is currently set to

you can use something like advanced ip scanner to see what ip (if any) the machine is set to.

keep in mind the network port might be bad (no reason to suspect this yet)

does roland have an application to set ip on this machine?

I can promise you, after installing over 100 Roland machines, they are not the same. The machines will not accept leading zeros. 192.168.050.100 will not work but 192.168.50.100 will.

sidcon

Thank you everyone for all the info. I'm grateful. We are running direct with a ethernet cable from printer to computer without a switch.
192.168.0.99 on the printer, not 192.168.000.99
For some reason the printer is showing mandatory 3 numbers per section.
this makes it sound easy...
if you set your pc to be in the same subnet as the address displayed in the roland utility (first 9 digits in the ip the same) 192.168.0.xxx you should be able to connect download advanced ip scanner & see if it can see your machine
you should use a switch, with. 2 cables, not a crossover cable
when you plug network canle in, do you et a light on both ends?
Thank you for the video, we tried that to the T. We also just downloaded the advanced ip scanner. The first few tries and we saw the printer only one of the try's. We do get a solid green and a blinking orange. The green is solid if the cable is plugged in or not. In versaworks we get a warning stating a few times "cannot find information for the devise detected, please make sure software supports this device? and most of the time the message just states device not found. Thank you again, and any more info is very appreciated.

Last edited:

p_vassilis

"cannot find information for the devise detected, please make sure software supports this device? .

It's unlikely but could this be the problem? Maybe there is communication but you use a version which doesn't support VS-300. The latest version (6) only supports VS-300i. As for communication I always try to send a ping through command prompt, have you tried that?[/QUOTE]

Joe House

What version of Versaworks are you using? (Help >About)
Have you updated your firmware to the latest version available?

sidcon

Thank you all again for the comments, We are running versaworks 4. I just checked the firmware on the machine is 4.40 The latest from what roland webstie states is 5.10. I just tried updating the firmware and states "can not locate printer" Any ideas? thanks again everyone

C5 Service&Repair

ok so maybe I wasnt clear.... the IPv4 settings in your network config cant have the leading zeros.
I would try 192.168.1.50 at your computer and 192.168.1.100 on the printer. 255.255.255.0 subnet
And if this is a direct connection without a hub or switch, then you dont need a gateway so just leave it blank.

netsol

not every device is "smart" enough to autonegotiate
spend $15 on amazon and get a 5 port switch

in the meantime, when you connect the ethernet cable from pc to machine, do you get a light at both ends?

if yes, download advanced ip scanner and see if it sees the machine

perhaps the network card is defective. maybe thats why the machine was sold?

if you need, i will loan you a network tester for a couple days, before we buy something you don't need. it plugs into the wire connected to the printer & you choose "discover"
it tels you what is on the other end. (i own a computer networking business, so i am very comfortabe with this type of diagnosis, although i have never seen your roland model)

Scott at Roland

Hello friends, we picked up another used VS printer to do small jobs on but this one is not connecting to versaworks for some reason. I've done a few of these with no issue, this one not the case. Using windows 10. We tried different cables, set both ip addresses (printer 192.168.000.99, computer 192.168.000.100) set subnet mask the same (255.255.255.0). tried different IP sets. Lan on the back of printer has green light solid, orange steady blinking. The lan on printer works with other printers. we have uninstalled versaworks and reinstalled. They don't want to talk to each other and I don't know what I missed or if there are other settings in the computer possibly or driver. Id be grateful for any help on getting this up and running. Thank you
Hi - One thing you can do to test - try either pinging your printer in the Command Prompt as indicated above, or you can simply enter the ip address into a web browser (just type 192.68.0.99 by itself into the URL field). You should get some sort of Roland page returned in your browser if the computer can see the printer. If your computer can see the printer through a Ping, then the issue might be VersaWorks. At that point, check your ink configuration to make sure it matches the VersaWorks version.

sidcon

Thank you netsol! that is very kind of you. you guys are amazing. We are grateful for everyone's help with this. We get a solid green on the port when we turn the machine on, the orange blinks for a short period of time then off. we will get a switch asap. C5 thank you. we took out all leading 0 and still same. Scott, thank you we did a ping and get all 4 out of 4 response but nothing on the url. The ink config in the printer menu settings is E-sol max W/MT, and running just flush in the W/MT. The message we get off a fresh versaworks install is "Cannot find information for the devise detected. Please make sure softwear supports this devise" Now I'm noticing versaworks closing now everything I try adding a new printer after the initial try.

netsol

ok. this is not a network issue.
scott can tell us bout versaworks versions.
you can go to rolanddga.com>support>print & print & cut>find your exact model & go to downloads, download versaworks. that has to be the right version.

you are using internet explorer when you do the url? http://192.168.0.50. web server should always be running on that machine.

netsol

stupid question?
can you disable firewall? just a thought. i have had clients, printing for months, on a printer, then suddenly antivirus (typically mcafee) blocks our printing

sidcon

Thank you, so glad its not the ethernet from the printer because its part of the main board. Its weird that we ran version 4 with another roland VS for years. I went to the Roland page but they didn't have the version 5 and says needs to be purchased, but they did have the version 6 upgrade that we were able to get. Downloaded it and same message "Cannot find information for the devise detected. Please make sure softwear supports this devise" I also disabled the firewall just now and still same. Thank you again for your help in this! I think we are making progress knowing its not the printer and a big relief.

netsol

i dont want to get in trouble with roland, my equipment is older but we have more rolands than i can count. Sometimes, we can find an ini file or config and just edit and add your mdl to the list. i don't run versaworks (flexi and gerber for us) but will try to find the file that lists the models versaworks talks to.

sometimes it is a matter of changing a dip switch to alter the machine's "personality" (or so i have read, on these forums)

first though, lets assume scott knows much more than i do & check the ink configuration matches the versaworks version.

netsol

sidcon,
we purchased a versaworks disk from roland after giving them our serial # and it was very inexpensive. i believe it was just a media replacement fee.

call roland and find out. this will certainly answer the question about versaworks not talking to your machine

Scott at Roland

Netsol - you are in big trouble now! (kidding). sidcon - the error you are getting indicates that your version of VersaWorks does not support the configuration your printer is set to. Netsol's recommendation for contacting us and ordering a replacement copy of Roland VersaWorks is a solid one. I don't recall the price but they are correct taht we are just charging media replacement fee. That would be worth trying first.
Good luck!