• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS 540 Dropping K channel during print

divers2deep

Hi.

I have attached pics of my issue. In the past 4 weeks i have had this happened a couple of weeks now. The printer will be be printing beautifully and then dropped approx 80% of K channel. The nozzle chack when operational is fairly clean, the nozzle check attached is after this drop happens. After multiple cleanings the K channel comes back. Does anyone have any advice on this issue ?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Photo Dec 22, 11 06 29 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 22, 11 06 29 AM.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Photo Dec 22, 11 06 53 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 22, 11 06 53 AM.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Photo Dec 22, 11 06 34 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 22, 11 06 34 AM.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 144

Ragnabrok

The only things that can control a single colour on those heads to fail is an empty cartridge (they can go empty and not beep at you), a bad damper, and very rarely a broken ink line. It could be the product of a bad head, but that would be the last avenue to persue. Leaky ink lines are easy to tell, there will be a lot of spilled ink inside the channel where the ink lines run.

divers2deep

I changed the damper, I found the boot on the bottom of the old damper had dislodged itself and possibly blocking the flow of ink.

The choke was shut off, after replacement I did power clean and choke clean. Unfortunately now I have 0 inks in any of the channels ? I have attempted to do a couple more cleanings and checked to make sure dampers were locked in place. Everything seems to check out.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

divers2deep

Cap top appears to be working properly. Did a fill ink function on service menu and its suck and entire drain bottle through.

divers2deep

UPDATE - SELF TECH ERROR ( ME) one of the ribbons on the print head was inverted, but in the right slot, luckily nothing got fried.

I am still where i started however with my black dropping out. I have attached the new test print after the black damper was changed.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 23, 1 19 07 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 23, 1 19 07 PM.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Photo Dec 23, 11 07 31 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 23, 11 07 31 AM.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Photo Dec 23, 1 19 27 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 23, 1 19 27 PM.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 114
  • Photo Dec 23, 10 52 46 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 23, 10 52 46 AM.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 112

divers2deep

Here is what doesnt make sense for me -

Cap top - is working due to filling drain bottle when cleaning.

Head - if a clog was present, I would not have fluctuations in the nozzle check

divers2deep

Does anyone have anymore input/advice they could give me, I am spending tons of money on ink, doing these cleanings every other print ! This is a 6ft x 4ft banner i did today. During this print the black noticeably got worst at 2 separate points in the print.

I have to cancel my print, waste the material do a cleaning and then start printing again.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 29, 10 37 37 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 10 37 37 AM.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Photo Dec 29, 10 37 43 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 10 37 43 AM.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 122

Ragnabrok

Have you taken off the top few covers to check the ink lines for leakage? The only VS i've seen a break on was a 540, not that it's a common issue. Just follow the ink lines from the head back to the cartridges, you'll see quite a mess in there if one is leaking.

divers2deep

Have you taken off the top few covers to check the ink lines for leakage? The only VS i've seen a break on was a 540, not that it's a common issue. Just follow the ink lines from the head back to the cartridges, you'll see quite a mess in there if one is leaking.

Yes, all covers have been removed, i cannot see any air in black line and no leak from any color.

divers2deep

I rechecked the damper to make sure all connections were good. Everything appeared to look good. I followed that up with power clean and choke clean again. The results aren't changing still a fluctuation in which nozzles decide to fire on the black channel. I've called the dealer and everything they would do I have done, Not sure how many more cleaning and waste of ink, I can do. They obviously want to send someone out, who will probably start changing parts just because it sounds good ( i'm out of warranty ! ) Here are the latest nozzle check after the damper check.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 29, 11 46 34 AM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 11 46 34 AM.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 122

CS-SignSupply

If you have not replaced the captop in the last 12 months, do it. Be sure to flood the cap with cleaning fluid before powering the unit on to begin normal clean.

How old is the VS540? Have you pulled a Peck Report? If not, download the CoPeck Utility from Roland, here, and email the resulting file to me at bobbyfosson@cssignsupply.com

I am interested in the shot counts, as well as a few other entries. I will email you back a copy of the Peck report in readable form with highlighted areas of concern.

What ink is in the unit?

CS-SignSupply

My guess at this point, without being in front of the printer, is that the head will need to be replaced. Ink type, shot count, maintenance, damage, etc.. ??

I would love to see a picture of the bottom of the head. Deflected nozzles like that shown in the nozzle test is not normally a plumbing issue.

Feel free to give me a call if you like, 877-602-4237.

divers2deep

Bobby from CS Supply has been amazing in taking my call and attempting to diagnose this nightmare.

I have now replaced the 5 months old cap top, the nozzle check is shown in pic attached. After approx. 40" of printing, the black is back to dropping out. I cannot believe that because of 1 channel, I am most likely about to have to replace this print head.

Attachments

• Photo Jan 04, 8 45 42 AM.jpg
    Photo Jan 04, 8 45 42 AM.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 123

pete2803

Have you tried cleaning the black channel in the head, flushing it through with the correct cleaning solution for the ink, I have a syringe with a short peice of pipe and filter image attached,remove the left cover and cut rail move the print carriage across to the left put a small tray/container under the head to catch the cleaning fluid remove dampers and flush black channel examine the spray pattern for defects,you can also inspect the bottom of the head take photo and post might help. Also you could try disconnecting the black ink line from the top of the head manifold attach a syringe and pull some ink through would prove there's ink there. Also to move covers from ink tank unit l/h side rear of printer and examine the choke for leaks crushed pipe etc I've had some leaks in there, check for pinched or kinked ink lines from head to ink tank, one last thing might sound crazy but re check your head rank number, mine changed itself recently have no idea how but it caused a nightmare.

divers2deep

Pete,

THANK YOU!!! I greatly appreciate any advice at this point. Thank you so much! Here are pics of the head. Its hard to get good shots of the bottom print head.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 29, 1 41 05 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 41 05 PM.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Photo Dec 29, 1 41 16 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 41 16 PM.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Photo Dec 29, 1 39 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 39 33 PM.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Photo Dec 29, 1 40 47 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 29, 1 40 47 PM.jpg