• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-540 Ink reformat doable?

Wingace

I have a vs-540 that has a metallic/white/C/Lc/M/Lm/Y/K setup ...

We haven't used the metallic aspect of it yet, but we will in the future. However at the moment, the metallic ink is being used during the printers cleaning cycles. After we ran out of metallic ink that we never used, we replaced it with a cleaning cartridge.

Wondering if it's okay to continue with the cleaning cartridge in the metallic slot... and whether or not anyone has had any luck switching a VS over from a m/w/c/lc/lm/y/b setup to a ccmmyykk

:thankyou::wavingflag:

Jack Knight1979

From what I've read on the net you can switch from metallic to standard ink, but once white goes in the machine, you cannot switch it out unless you change the lines.

I personally have no experience with this machine. I also don't see why you couldn't switch out white/metallic with other inks, if you know how to properly flush the lines, pump, and balance of the ink train.

you would not be able to simple do a medium cleaning and drop in different carts.

Wingace running the printer in 6color mode through versaworks and no metallics or white. Your right by running cleaning cartridges in those ink channels not used, its important or the printheads will dry out and be useless in the future. I dont really no the reason you dont run the met and white?? That printer has some pretty sweet output with the whites and metallics its super slow obviously but I have seen some killer print techniques with your printer.

btw... the dual channel cmyk works and you can increase your speeds drastically. That saying IDK if versaworks has any profiles for that on your model... BUT if you had the ability to make profiles it wouldn't be tough at all.

Wingace

It's not that we don't want to use the metallic and white, because we're excited to see it's application on our prints. It's just not the time for it, and we don't have products designed for it's application yet.

I assumed it would be as simple as flushing the lines out and putting in new cartridges... and maybe change the ink type setting on the machine itself.

then I was told you would need to buy a new main board or whatever it is that governs the printers functionality.

I'm just trying to see if I'm being bs'd or not ... and if i could save that metallic and white ink costs in the time being.

I appreciate all the feedback....

Andrew O

Merchant Member
The pigments in the white and metallic will never fully clear out of the system and will cause problems with contamination. We don't recommend switching. A proper conversion would involve replacing the entire ink delivery system including lines, dampers, and the head. It is an expensive conversion that you wouldn't want to do more than once.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I like the VS 540. That is the printer what I would go for. But I would get the DUAL CMYK setup for speed. We never had 1 customer who asked for metallic.