• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-540 Loud carriage noise

divers2deep

VS-540
Carriage motor has 613 hours on it.

Im getting a loud noise when printing. I dont think that the carriage is flowing freely which is creating issues with my print cut. My cuts are horrendous and stitch looking. See picture. My prints are still coming good.

question #1 - the only bearing is the inner part of the pulley or the rail bearings. I dont think this is the rail based on where the noise is coming from. Is this a bad motor or should i replace the bearing in the pulley ?

Question #2 - could this issue be affecting my cut ? I tried cutting standard vinyl at a pressure of 130 and it still did not cut properly. New blade, new blade holder, blade is out of holder by 1 credit cards thickness.

Video of carriage noise - [video=youtube;p9YKPq97b28]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9YKPq97b28[/video]

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo Feb 18, 12 07 31 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 18, 12 07 31 PM.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,180
  • Photo Feb 18, 12 07 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Feb 18, 12 07 35 PM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 933

Ragnabrok

Sounds like the pulley to me, old scan motors make a high pitch wail.

The scan motor has an adjustment point, relative to the drive gear. Loosed the bolts (2.5mm hex i think) wiggle the gear back and forth, there should be a spring pulling the motor gear against the drive gear, so wiggling them should ensure they are seated all the way together. Tighten it back up and test again.

haven't had a metal pulley bearing go on me yet, but anything is possible at some point.

Last possible i can think of is the servo board. From the IC3 pop issue on the launch sp-300's, it made a noise like this but MUCH worse.

you can see if it's the bearings or motor by disconnecting the motor, and moving the carriage by hand, also turning the motor gear, to look for how easily and evenly the gear rotates.

divers2deep

Update -

Took the motor apart today, take a look at the video.

[video=youtube;YBPAk7jSi-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBPAk7jSi-c[/video]

What would be making that noise inside of the motor ? Do you think my cut issues have any relation to the motor problems ?

Ragnabrok

yup, that motor sounds terrible. There is a glass encoder disc at the bottom of the motor, where the oval part is. that may be what is making the grindy sounds.

A new motor would solve that, but you aren't making anything worse by trying to save the current one :)

New motor is just a drop in, nothing to configure.

hotboxdp

yup, that motor sounds terrible. There is a glass encoder disc at the bottom of the motor, where the oval part is. that may be what is making the grindy sounds.

A new motor would solve that, but you aren't making anything worse by trying to save the current one :)

New motor is just a drop in, nothing to configure.
What was the final outcome? I'm having the same issue.

damonCA21

What was the final outcome? I'm having the same issue.
Will either be the scan motor is worn, or the bearing blocks that connect the head to the rail behind it. Move the head along the rail and see if there is any free play or bearing noise coming from those. If not then is most likely the motor. Blocks and motors are available on ebay, but avoid the generic chinese motors and try and get an OEM one as the chinese ones are pretty crap

Terry01

Will either be the scan motor is worn, or the bearing blocks that connect the head to the rail behind it. Move the head along the rail and see if there is any free play or bearing noise coming from those. If not then is most likely the motor. Blocks and motors are available on ebay, but avoid the generic chinese motors and try and get an OEM one as the chinese ones are pretty crap
I don't know where you get your info from regarding the so called Chinese motors, but 99% are produced in China and Taiwan. You won't get a Japanese motor. Roland have never made any of their own consumable items..Everything was outsourced. Epson produced the original heads, and that was about it.

damonCA21

I don't know where you get your info from regarding the so called Chinese motors, but 99% are produced in China and Taiwan. You won't get a Japanese motor. Roland have never made any of their own consumable items..Everything was outsourced. Epson produced the original heads, and that was about it.
OEM motors were made in japan and are much better quality than the new chinese ones which is why they can last 10 years or more before failing. Roland didn't put cheap low quality chinese motors in new machines for a good reason.

Yes, I know Roland didn't make their own consumables, but two main companies made the original motors for them, both in Japan.
You can still find them used easily enough