• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS-640 issues

printmaster

We have been using our VS-640 for about one month now, and are generally satisfied with it except for one major issue: there are unacceptable colour variations between prints. We first noticed it when printing a wallpaper job, when fitting the job there were huge variation from one to another, so much that we had to take the job down !
After carefully observing each job it is clear that on one side of the printer the Magenta is increased and this is visible more on some jobs less on others.

We have tried doing the tiling manually in illustrator, updating firmware etc with no luck. We are using Marabu Inks and now have been told to try Eco-Sol as a last resort.

Any opinions or suggestions are welcome !

Thank you

ProColorGraphics

Why would you use aftermarket in a new printer? Especially since it is totally new and bound to have problems when a new product first hits the streets.

printmaster

thanks ,

1. I have the exact same issues with original eco-sol inks.
2. I have 2 years warranty regardless of the ink i use.

Ragnabrok

Right you are pat, at least from Roland directly. Although i guess the dealer themselves could set up 2 years of free repairs and call it a warranty.

Bio-Graphics

Pat your right on the roland warranty.. The 3rd party ink companies are saying there giving some kind of warranty on machines for using there ink

printmaster

Or maybe its just the originals that are way too expensive in here Cyprus :)

We are currently waiting for a response from Roland after sending them some
printed samples of our issues., will keep you updated

cha88

im not sure why you would want to run a vs-640 without the eco inks, especially because the coolest part of the vs-640 is the white and metallic inks that are available for it...and then wonder why using these garbage brands might effect your quality...

ordering my vs-640 in a few days!!!!

printmaster

there is not a market big enough in Cyprus to justify the use of metallic inks yet.
About 30 other Roland users in Cyprus have been using these inks for years
with no problems and with excellent results.

cha88

your telling me theres no market for these inks in your area, yet there are 30!!! other roland users in your market area... thats alot of competition for a small area... and your telling me you wouldnt want to be the only guy offering metallic inks...??? i would...thats all i can say to you...

printmaster

3 other companies tried pushing metallic inks, all friends of mine as well as "competitors" they switched to 2 x cmyk within less than 2 months for 2 reasons, very few clients wanted to pay the premium and it prooved way too
time consuming as well.
Metallic is in our thoughts but only if we get a second printer at some point.

Any others suggestions regarding our issues ?

Dave L.

The VS units have the ink cartridges positioned vertically. I would take out the ink cartridges and shake them every day to keep the pigment dispersed through the cartridge as opposed to collecting on the bottom.

Rudy

I believe I read somewhere to try and print where the seams are, on the same side of the printer. So you might have to flip your prints so that the seam is always on the left or the right.

Hard to explain but hopefully you get the idea.

jasonx

I believe I read somewhere to try and print where the seams are, on the same side of the printer. So you might have to flip your prints so that the seam is always on the left or the right.

Hard to explain but hopefully you get the idea.

Corret if your tiling in versa works there is a check box under tiling for Place Alternate. Which flips every 2nd tile 180 degrees so the seams are printed on the same side of the printer. Might solve your issue for now for having the prints to match. But if its as bad as your saying you'll see colour variations within the same print.

Firefox

The VS units have the ink cartridges positioned vertically. I would take out the ink cartridges and shake them every day to keep the pigment dispersed through the cartridge as opposed to collecting on the bottom.

If the VS-640 is set up for MT ink it will prompt you at the start of each days work to remove and gently agitate the MT ink ctg.

SOA

we have a VS and never had issue like this, there has been problem with the capping station clogging, but your mad putting 3rd party inks in a new machine. Why try and save £50 here and there??

patonnessen

Hi, we have exactly the same problem. Bought this one in Norway. 2xcmyk installed. First 3.party ink...and now roland ink...same shit...

What to do?

Custom_Grafx

Just had this problem today. Not a good feeling. Around 8 square metres down the drain.

Roland, I hope you are reading the above - I'll be calling on Monday.

rjssigns

Run a fill test. If that looks good get a different roll of material. It is rare to get bad material, but it happens.