• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

VS540 pinch roller replacement

Patentagosse

Hi folks, I have a pinch roller to replace... the one next to the blade holder. I notice there's a slight angle to this pinch roller so I want to put it on the right way. As I've replaced the defective one with one of the extra we put in the middle of printer (while waiting the part to comes in), the one actually in place is straight. I'll put back the straight where it belongs but for the one at start point, does it go higher point close to blade holder or close to 2nd pinch roller?

Thanks

Attachments

• Pinch roller.jpg
    Pinch roller.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 116

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
There should be a colored dot on one side of the pinch roller. This dot is on the high side of the roller and should go to the outside. It is highly recommended you replace both outside rollers at the same time. If one of the outer rollers is more worn then the other, you can start to getting feed issues and you may really have issues with contour cutting staying aligned with the print.

Patentagosse

There should be a colored dot on one side of the pinch roller. This dot is on the high side of the roller and should go to the outside. It is highly recommended you replace both outside rollers at the same time. If one of the outer rollers is more worn then the other, you can start to getting feed issues and you may really have issues with contour cutting staying aligned with the print.

I've used a straight one from another removable pinch roller for months w/o issue. I got this new one from my tech at his last visit but he was short on time so I told him I'm gonna handle it... +6 months passed and I no longer remember what he told me so that's why I asked.

There's 2 li'l dots (black) on one of the side so I'm gonna place the roller with dots facing head housing.

My printer is just used few hours per weeks (sometimes turned OFF 2-3 days...) so I figure it should be OK for the moment, tracking was very good even w/o the appropriate wheel...

Thanks for the advice

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
You should be good to go, then! A suggestion on installing the new pinch roller. There are washers on either side of the roller. If you put a tiny bit of grease on the washer, it will stick to the roller, making it much easier to align and get the roller shaft through the pinch roller and both washers.

Patentagosse

Another good tip is to put masking tape over the rolling grid 'cause there's a space where the tinny parts can find their way. Been there few years ago with my 24" Mimaki plotter (easier to turn upside down and shake...)