• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question VS540i print/cut registration problems

StreamlineDesign

Anyone else have a VS540i with registration issues?

This machine has been a major p.i.t.a. for us since we got it just over 2 years ago. Right away we noticed that the print/cut registration frequently off - much more so than our VP540 when print/cutting the exact same things.

We used to use a bleed of about 4-5pts (In illustrator) on VP without issue. That won't work on the VS. On some things we need to add 3/8" bleed if we don't want to waste ink, material, and time. There's some art that a bleed that large just won't work on though.

Here's an excerpt of what I sent to Roland Tech after a generic, canned reply:

Yes, we have done print/cut alignments on the machine – many times. We have tried using ALL of the pinch rollers. We have tried using just two pinch rollers. We have replaced pinch rollers. We have spooled out the material so its’ free flowing and not pulling from the roll. We have tried printing the alignment marks and cutting afterwards using those. We have always added bleed on everything. On the VP we only ever had to add about 4-5pts for bleed. On certain things that it still works on we are now adding 3/8” bleed for the VS – but not all artwork allows for bleeds that big. The tech that was here did print/cut alignments before and after replacing two different components/boards that he said control the print/cut alignment. I don’t know exactly what those were but could find out if needed. Nothing has fixed the issue.

Some of the cuts are off along the print head movement axis, and some of the cuts are off along the roll-feed axis, and some are off on both axis.

We have a product we print/cut frequently that the print size is 52” x 18” on 54” material where the cuts will be off over .25” on the print head axis at both ends of the piece, but will be within tolerance in the center.

The ONLY time we can get a reliable cut within tolerance is if we print on the VS with registration marks and move it over to the VP for cutting – which to me seems like something is drastically wrong with the cutting on this machine.

(The VP has had printing issues and is no longer printing – the main reason we purchased the VS)

BUCKY

Get a flash light and examine the roller cages where they clamp on the torsion bar. We had the same issue. There was a small crack
in the cage which would cause it to track inconsistently due to uneven pressure from side to side.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Run all of the encoder calibrations and then try the print/cut alignment again. If your encoders are not properly calibrated, cut alignments don't work at all.

StreamlineDesign

Get a flash light and examine the roller cages where they clamp on the torsion bar. We had the same issue. There was a small crack
in the cage which would cause it to track inconsistently due to uneven pressure from side to side.

Do you mean the permanently mounted ones, or the ones that can slide in and out? And where on it was the crack that you found? We looked them over and haven't found any cracks yet.

Attachments

• 20181113_153432.jpg
    20181113_153432.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 188

StreamlineDesign

Run all of the encoder calibrations and then try the print/cut alignment again. If your encoders are not properly calibrated, cut alignments don't work at all.

Thanks for the reply. The tech that replaced the boards also ran all of the calibrations and had it cutting pretty decent when he left. That was at the end of May (2018) and the end of the 2 yr warranty. It wasn't too long afterward, maybe just a few weeks, that the cutting started getting out of alignment just a little bit. Since then it has gotten worse and worse.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thanks for the reply. The tech that replaced the boards also ran all of the calibrations and had it cutting pretty decent when he left. That was at the end of May (2018) and the end of the 2 yr warranty. It wasn't too long afterward, maybe just a few weeks, that the cutting started getting out of alignment just a little bit. Since then it has gotten worse and worse.

I would clean the encoder strip and sensor and the run the environmental match then. It could be a dusty encoder throwing everything off and the environmental match will compensate for any changes in the environment that can affect the encoder and sensor.