• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vutek 5300 - convert to soy based inks?

sign_student

Hi folks,

I'm not getting anywhere... Maybe some of you have suggestions as to what we can/can't do and perhaps what we should/shouldn't do.

To fill you in - We started a suggestion box program in our shop and one of the suggestions was that we convert one of our old (virtually unused) printers to soy based or biodegradable inks.

This is an idea that 'corporate' might go for but not unless we present a little information.

I've taken it on myself to try to find out what the possible costs and option are but I'm not getting very far. All my google searches only come up with soy based inks for sale or companies that do green printing... I'm not having luck searching the forum although I do recall reading some stuff along these lines in the past - Does anybody know (ballpark figure) what it might cost to convert the Vutek 5300 to soy based inks and what some of the benefits/complications might be... Who could this? Or perhaps something we should be warned about before taking this route.

We aren't relying on this as main source of sales but thought it would be interesting to offer this kind of service and start with a machine that doesn't see much use as thing are right now.

Thanks to all for reading and for any thoughts you might be able to share.

Regards,

Patrick

VUTEk New BioVu™ ink from VUTEk® is made from renewable resources, so it’s good for the environment. But it’s solvent-based, so it’s good for business.

Environmentally friendly inks. End users are demanding them, and governments are legislating them. You know that making the switch is the right thing to do, but you also know that compared to traditional solvent inks, environmentally friendly inks often fall short in versatility and performance. Until now.

BioVu is the first solvent-based ink made from a renewable resource (corn), and the only one recognized by the EPA. Created by VUTEk — and available only from us — BioVu is made from food-grade ingredients, yet delivers everything you expect from a solvent-based ink: extreme durability, strong bonding to uncoated surfaces, and great resistance to UV light and mechanical wear. All while requiring no ventilation. You get the best of both worlds, while helping to preserve the one that really matters.

Great images come from great inks.

Colour crispness and print-to-print consistency depend on more than just printer technology. They also depend on ink quality — and that’s precisely why we take such meticulous care in producing the highest quality, most durable inks for our digital printers. We are dedicated to producing the purest and cleanest process colors in the world. All of our inks contain the same brilliantly colored, durable pigments, so you can duplicate the same custom colors across a wide range of our printers.

The VUTEk ink advantage.

The quality of our inks is only the beginning of the VUTEk ink advantage. Naturally, safety is a top priority. Per OSHA guidelines, every VUTEk ink container is labeled with health, fire and reactivity ratings, as well as chemical and emergency information. These labels are color-coded to help avoid improper mixing. And, on each label, we clearly list emergency information, including a 24-hour phone number to the Rocky Mountain Poison Control Center.

Our inks are designed to make sure you can consistently and reliably deliver the most beautiful digital inkjet images possible. They’re one more example of all the ways we help you VUTEk it. And profit.

sign_student

Vutek Inks

Hi "Merritt" - Thanks for the answer. That does sound like the answer, doesn't it?

I should explain, I'm personally more on the office side of things (helping with Customer Service, Account Managing,Marketing efforts...) but with a real interest in production/install side of things. <-- by this I'm excusing my lack of understanding:

What would we have to do to our press to make it work with these inks? Is this a big undertaking? Do you think we would we be able to find all the parts needed considering the age of this printer? Who does this kind of thing? What would you think are the associated costs of this conversion? - Or are these inks ready-made to work with our press 'as is'?

Thanks again!