• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vutek PV200 Bios

Wintersun

Anyone know how to alter the bios settings on the Vutek PV200 bios ?
Ive tried booting with F10 pressed and it just comes up with a blue screen and a flashing prompt. just wondering how to change its date ?
Anyone have any ideas ?

Montrealer

Senior Operator
I would like to thank you personally for your advice about the printline failure...It makes sense, i run a defrag and got no problem until the end of the day...Im pretty sure your right about this.

Ok for your problem, i run PV200 application for my Vutek pressvu 200/600 6 colors, and i have 2 hard drive booting at the same time,1 is the firmware, and i have a second hardrive booting (scroll lock 2 time and up arrow)is for my windows xp interface. I have to change the date often because im using second part ink, and im using old vutek coupling.

Once u had turn on the vutek, u push F10, F1 or Delete button (it depends of the computer u using).and you gonna see a blue screen appear, thats the dos menu, most of the time the date is in the first option in the menu.You click enter. Once you find it, u use the arrow on your keyboard and u go on the year,month,day,time and u can change them by pushing - and + button on your keyboard.

Once you have set it correctly, you push F10, save and exit =Yes...the machine reboot and its done..u can do the same on the other cpu (scroll lock 2 time + up arrow)at the boot sequence...than you do the same operation on the other one...if this is needed.

Remember to change the date in windows XP mode....on the time icon in the task bar...double click on the time icon and on the 3rd tab call : Temps internet, uncheck automatically sync time with windows server etc etc...otherwise your date will be overwrite at the reboot by the windows server time.

Sorry if my english is bad im just trying...i can take picture of everything if u didnt understand well my english.

Hope it had help.

A+

artbot

you should take a picture. i'm very impresses with that work around. please do take pictures and post them as a tutorial for everyone that owns a pv200/600. there are a lot 200/600's coming on the market used for great prices. but most likely being purchased by smaller shops that can't afford expiring ink and contracts.

Wintersun

if you could post pictures that would be great, your english is ok but the pictures would help a lot.

also, im glad the defragging helped you,
even tech support didnt know about the linear sync problems and print start problems being related to a data addressing delay due to a badly fragmented hard drive, took me a while to work it out.

Montrealer

Senior Operator
Alright man im working on it tommorrow..Well the C: hardrive that runnning PV200 interface is probably the reason why i have this error, but the Vutek technician seem not really willing to help me on this avenue, he think that the main carriage motor that causing this error, since the motor cost 6000$ and my hardrive solution 100$...The owner seem more willing to listen to the technician, so i was not able to convince him to try our solution first...I have no choice but to wait after we change the motor...if it happen again after...oh boy , i know some people will heard me alot....=P

for your bios prob i do a step by step picture set, i will post soon!

A+

jhanson

Ah, the good old print line error... the bane of any Vutek owner.

Vutek's usual suggestion whenever print line errors become common is "reformat and reinstall". If that doesn't fix it, then they move on to the throwing-parts-at-the-problem-until-it-goes-away stage. If all else fails, it's just a generic print line error and it's obviously unfixable.

Montrealer

Senior Operator
Well in that case, they jump right away to the motor solution...Im not agree with you saying that Vutek Print line error is unfixable...we use this machine non-stop almost 16 hours per days for years and no problem at all...From my understand the technician told me that between the encoder position and the Drive position you cannot get more than 0.10 difference between the 2 value. In my case i have more than 1.1 off.. (see picture)

Sorry to have hijack your topic wintersun!!! Im working on your thngs in day to come.!!

A+

Attachments

• vutek.jpg
    vutek.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 109

jhanson

My remark about the print line error being "unfixable" was more of a snide remark directed at Vutek. I've talked to their techs and have been told that random, once-every-other-month or so print line errors are basically normal for the QS series.

Anything more frequent than that is usually due to either sluggishness on the PC side (due to fragmentation/etc, which is why they recommend the reformat-and-reinstall as a matter of course) or a bad part.

If you still can't get anywhere with the Vutek techs, try giving the guys over at Prime Printer Service a call. (603) 274-4148. They're very knowledgeable and have helped us a lot.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Those were some of the errors we CONSTANTLY got with our 200....and why we got rid of it! Ours was just too frustrating to deal with and took on a QS and the additional financing of the old note. It sucks...but we're happier with the printer we have now.
The date thing is a good idea...but we occasionally get a print line error on our QS as well. Nature of the beast I guess. We keep our drives clean as ripped files are here for at least a month or more on the Terrabyte drive we rip to. I think thats a big plus...just keeping your XP partitions neat and clean.

jhanson

Please note that I'm not talking about the hard drive in your RIP PC... that has next to nothing to do with print line errors.

I'm talking about the two SCSI drives attached to the Linux workstation inside the Vutek. Vutek recommends doing a low-level format from the SCSI controller, then reinstalling the OS and software from their restore disks.

Although, really, you would be just fine with reinstalling the OS and software. Seagate actually recommends against doing low-level formats of their drives from any SCSI controller, since it's not a true low-level format and all it does is thrash the disk unnecessarily. I guess one of the Vutek engineers never got the memo that we don't live in the 1980s anymore.

Montrealer

Senior Operator
Im talking about those 2 hardrive u mention, the first 1 running PV200 is under windows XP and the other that running vuware firmware, im not really sure. Those hardrive seem pretty old with old scuzi plug...its not IDE or Sata it is connected to a specific card in the motherboard. I try to re-install from a third part HD and it did not work, i had to use a specific strap connected to a specific card. The vutek technician is convince at 200% that this is due to the motor carriage, and im waiting to see, who was right....The guy call the shot, so im waiting to see...=P

Wintersun

Thanks for getting back to me on the bios setup when your ready.
Just to throw a cat among the pigeons, we dont use the SCSI drive for the stored RTL files at all now, we use a SATA drive, and still use the SCSI drive for the vutek program and usual XP bootup..
The less use that SCSI drive gets for large files the better in our experience.
WE also defrag the sata drive after every 10 files copied, using this technique we havent had any encoder issues no have we had print line errors or print start problems..

I suppose the thing is there is very little delay using modern drives and i think thats whats helping, and its on a separate bus which certainly helps.

Wintersun

Engineer came out to unblock and ink valve and moved the carriage by brute force, guess what... got the print line and encoder error messages all the time now, could be conicidence but it was perfect til he did that...
They reckon the problem is the carriage motor about to die on us.
Anyone have any light they can shed on this, cos $7500 is a lot of cash to find, if its NOT the motor.

jhanson

Does the servo controller flash any error codes (e.g. E-0-7) when you get either a print line or encoder error message?

It's possible that the magnetic encoder strip got nicked. Do the errors occur in a specific place, or does it just seem to happen at a random position?

Wintersun

only error codes we get are servo error = 0
and e-buffer errors,and just random linear sync errors that put the print heads out of sync and print randomly on the media, we also get print line start errors.
if the motor is running warm to hot the printer can run for a while without the error happening.