• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vutek QS2000

Aqua5

My company just installed a Vutek QS2000. Since I began running jobs I've come up with quite a few questions that I'm having problems getting solid answers/solutions to. The main problem is print quality. Every job has an overspray look to it. Around every image, font and border this appears. I was told this was from too much static. We had new static bars installed, same problem. We've wiped the substrate with anti static wipes and solutions and allowed them to dry. Same problem. We were told by the tech that adjusting the height of the print head was not necessary with substrates like .030 styrene, coroplast, foamcore unless it was thicker material above 2/3".

If anyone has any suggestions/cures/causes I'm all for hearing them.

Aqua5

Head height to high?

Bi Directional calibration?

Step??

Being new to this machine I asked detailed questions. The response I got was that the head height was set and for 95% of what we will print on, we don't need to change it. But I'm thinking we do need to lower it. As for bi directional calibration and step I'd have to look into that deeper. I don't know if we should be doing that or the tech from EFI/VUTEk.

Nah bro. Step and Bidi are very simple to do and right in the VUware and will do so often.

Did you buy this new? Seems like some major details were left out in the training process.

As a Vutek owner or as with any production printer engineered for 24/7 operation you will learn the only time you get a Tech is if you are truley dead in the water. Otherwise you are the Tech learning as you run into problems....

Last edited:

Aqua5

I went into the User Maintenance modes and readjusted the head height. I was printing on 3mm sintra and I could stick my pinky finger under the carriage! I got the height back to .060, did bidirectional and step checks (which weren't out of whack) and printed a test print. It's better but still has some small signs of overspray. I've also noticed that from time to time it drops magenta droplets all over the media. We have a tech in today to look into that.

I thank you for all your suggestions.

HaroldDesign

0.060 is the standard height of choice, but don't be afraid to vary that on different substrates. Sounds like there may be a vacuum leak affecting the gravity feed that's causing the magenta droplets.

animenick65

As a fellow QS series operator, feel free to bounce questions off of me.

The ink drops you mentioned could be due to static from the sintra you mentioned. It could also be due to a venturi being off, incorrect manometer pressure or an air leak as previously mentioned. It could also be incorrect temperature or voltage settings.

Aqua5

Ok animenick65 I got one for you. Whenever I do an ink purge and jet test I will get a huge glob of black ink on the substrate. I'm posting a pic for reference. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20110817_120234.jpg
    IMG_20110817_120234.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 174

animenick65

Is it only during a jet test?

About how fast is the carriage coming down when it's setting height? It should be relatively slow. This is for several reasons. A) If it came down too fast you could de-prime your jets. B) You don't want it coming down too fast on soft substrates as it will make an indent and/or cause your head height to be inconsistent. and C) There is a lot of crap on that carriage and you don't want it being jolted around like that.

I would first uncap the carriage over the capping station and inspect each jet to see if it's wet. Right after a purge it should be relatively clean. If you notice that after a purge one or more of the jets in a color slowly becomes wet then you could have a malfunctioning venturi, incorrect manometer pressure or a leak somewhere. Are you wiping the bottom of the carriage/jets as recommended daily?

Also, try cleaning the underneath of your carriage and then doing a purge, then re-inspect the bottom of the carriage. If you notice lots of ink buildup on the surrounding plate, then it could be splashing from the purge tray. When the purge tray is moving in and out is it relatively smooth? Is there any ink build up on the purge tray rails? Are they oiled?

Aqua5

The carriage does move very slowly up and down when doing the jet test. It only happens when you purge ink and then do a jet test. I clean the machine daily per the instructions given to me by the tech who was here. I've even cleaned any buildup in the tray to eliminate that as a problem. There is always some formation of ink in the tray however. I would tend to suspect there is a leak of some kind. It only makes sense because of the issue and amount of ink I see in the tray and residue on the head when I clean it. I will keep you posted once we have it checked.