• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Vutek QS3200 probems printing a layered file

steveo251

Hello all,

Our Vutek press is not printing layered files correctly. A single layer file will work okay, but when we try to layer a file so we can put white underneath colors, it is suddenly dropping some colors out. We create two .RTL files, one for the white layer and one for the color layer. We're printing on a bright yellow substrate, so the red type that is on it turns orange without the white underneath. We've done this job multiple times and have not ran into this issue before. We've tried multiple file types prior to ripping them to get our RTL file, but the results are the same. We don't know if it's a software or mechanical problem. The machine isn't giving us any errors and seems to process the files fine. But when we start printing, we get the white underneath layer and one or two top colors, but we cannot get it to print all 6. Most recently we had just the white and light cyan.

Has anybody else ran into this?
We've completely reinstalled the Linux operating system and the Vutek software but there is no change.
We've used PDF and TIFF files in the Colorburst rip to create the RTL, but again, we get the same result.

But we can grab a single layer file and it prints just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Steve

steveo251

Try printing the 6 color file on top of itself to confirm if its a software issue.

Hi Greg,
Right now we have a file that I solid white and a 6 color file. We select the multilayer file option, bring in those two files, put the color file on top of the white and run.

Sometimes we get the white and 3 or four of the colors to print. Other times the white and one color will print. We just did it and got the white, and 5 colors, it was only missing magenta.

How would printing the 6 color file on top of itself help to identify the problem?

Thanks,
Steve

tjwilton

I would try printing the white layer then print 6 colour file over the top and ignore layering, see if that works as a workaround

steveo251

I would try printing the white layer then print 6 colour file over the top and ignore layering, see if that works as a workaround

Thank you... but we are printing 36 - 8.5 x 11 pieces on a 4' x 8' board.
There is small type on the piece. If we don't get the board lined up absolutely perfect for the second pass, the registration is horrible by the time we get to the end of the board.
And the job is for 1000 pieces total, so we need perfect registration for over 30 boards.

steveo251

If you want to email files to me I could try creating RTL files on Fiery RIP and then dropbox them for you to download to see if thsi sorts it? I'm in the UK though so not in work for 10 hours

Email is sales@aztecpresentations.co.uk

Tom

Wow Tom, thank you so much for the offer.
I'm going to email you the 36up file of both our white layer and the color layer.

I don't have drop box, but you could upload them to our website.
www.printwithram.com
Click the Upload button on the right side of the screen and follow the instructions.... or however works best for you.

THANKS AGAIN!

tjwilton

Got your email Steve. Will hve a look first thing tomorrow(it's 10.30pm here). hope it works out for you.

gregwallace

Hi Greg,
Right now we have a file that I solid white and a 6 color file. We select the multilayer file option, bring in those two files, put the color file on top of the white and run.

Sometimes we get the white and 3 or four of the colors to print. Other times the white and one color will print. We just did it and got the white, and 5 colors, it was only missing magenta.

How would printing the 6 color file on top of itself help to identify the problem?

Thanks,
Steve

I would assume that if your issue is related to the multilayering, you would have issues regardless of whether or not you are using a flood white mutilayer or a full color multilayer. The test would help rule out the rip file being the issue.

steveo251

I would assume that if your issue is related to the multilayering, you would have issues regardless of whether or not you are using a flood white mutilayer or a full color multilayer. The test would help rule out the rip file being the issue.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the advice. Another member created files for us to try as well. Between trying his files and the test you are suggesting, that should help us identify the problem at least. I will update once we have a chance to do the tests.

Steve

steveo251

Well.... thanks to Tom and Greg for their help and ideas... but still no fix.
We can print a single layer file fine, but the multilayer is still dropping colors out.

Any other ideas?

steveo251

With this test, we get all the color to print fine... but when we try to print on white, we get the color fall out. It's inconsistent too, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. One time we lose just a single color, maybe Magenta... do the same file again and we could lose three colors and Magenta isn't one of them.

Somehow the multilayer file becomes a problem when it's on top of white.

We also tried two layers of color over white with a three layer file.... Then we lost the white.

HELP!

steveo251

No, we are not using flood white.
We have tried the layer white option with just a color file... same result, we lost colors.

Or we do the multilayer and still get the same problem.

steveo251

Software version?? Anybody know what the Vutek QS 3200 should be running?

Hello again,

I had a technician ask me about our software and Linux versions we are running.

Our system shows 1.2.4 for Client, Middleware and Firmware.
I don't now how to check the operating system... is it one of these?
Not familiar with Linux at all...!!

And does anybody know what the machine should have?
Are we way out of date on the software?

gregwallace

Are you running heavy or light smoothing? Unidirectional or bidirectional? Your data cable could be the problem. With the machine off unplug the data cable from the carraige and then plug it back in. I have another weird test. Setup your multilayer print as usual. Before printing turn off you white pixel switch. Now print . The machines software will think its printing white but with the pixel switch disabled the white heads will not actually fire.

steveo251

Are you running heavy or light smoothing? Unidirectional or bidirectional? Your data cable could be the problem. With the machine off unplug the data cable from the carraige and then plug it back in. I have another weird test. Setup your multilayer print as usual. Before printing turn off you white pixel switch. Now print . The machines software will think its printing white but with the pixel switch disabled the white heads will not actually fire.

Hi Greg....

Ugh, this thing is getting pretty frustrating.
Since yesterday we've tried the following:

1. Reformatted both hard drives and reinstalled the Linux and the Vutek software.... same problem.
2. Reformatted both drives and switched the jumpers to change the Master and Slave drive identities... thinking maybe we had a bad sector in a hard drive.... same result.

Answers to your questions are:
1-Heavy Smoothing
2-Bidirectional
3-Unplug the data cable and plug back in
4-Create multilayer file from the same files we've been using, but we turned off white when layering.... odd thing is white still printed, but we dropped magenta just like the last couple tests we ran.

Why would white print when it's turned off?

-Steve

steveo251

After a little research, we realize we did not turn off the white pixel switch, we turned off the white in the layering process. I see the switches on the board, but they are not labeled. How do I know which of the 7 that are turned on is white?